Frenetic Helicopter Flying

Started by Papa, November 04, 2013, 02:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

I know I'm somewhat old fashioned but chalk it up to the fact that I may in fact be old.

But

I don't understand what appeal this has. Please let me in on the secret.

Jack.

Goblin 700 Competition Edition vs. Hay
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Ededge2002

I'm with you Jack. I "guess" its a demonstration that the noisy thing can stay airborne. I admit I'm not at all interested in helicopters for a number of reasons but these very powerful machines have been the cause of a couple of fatalities in recent years. The guys just get too close in and something touches the ground, lest go or they input the wrong stick input and its all over.

If he was trying to dry the hay prior to bailing it I don't see that an acceptable job was done of it.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

piker

I think helicopters are a mechanical wonder, even though I don't have any desire to own one.

But I think this type of flying is a result of the video game generation who are just interested in fact action, reflex type of activities.

It just reminds me of the bugs at the cottage that I want to swat.

bfeist

I find it intriguing and amazing that these high power helis can harness that many watts without flying apart. I also admire the skill of the pilots. When I watch these kinds of videos I find that I do get drawn in to a certain extent and wonder if I could ever pilot such an amazing machine.

But aesthetically, I don't like the non-scale aspect of what's going on with this kind of flying. I much prefer precision maneuvers in aviation. IMAC vs 3D in fixed wing for example. I know there are classes of RC helis that are about scale performance. I much prefer these.

Ben

Linden

That's crazy! It looks like a dragonfly.