Wire resistance, another question

Started by Papa, December 14, 2013, 12:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

Gauge for gauge which has the lower resistance?

Stranded wire or solid wire?

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Bobmic

Solid but there are disadvantages per what you plan to do if you are only looking to transfer high current - solid wire or bus bar will be the most efficient.

pmackenzie

They should be the same, since they will by definition have the same cross sectional area. :)
As the frequency increases  and the skin effect comes into play the multi-strand will start to be lower.

(Current is increasingly carried in the outer layer of a conductor as frequencies go up)

If this is related to motor winding, then  how much copper that can be packed into the space available is the important thing.
With care you can get more using single strand, but multi-strand makes it easier to wind.

For general wiring where there is any movement required stranded is the way to go.
You don't see extension cords with solid wire.

Pat MacKenzie

Papa

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

dangaras

Jack, stranded wire is always better when compared to the same size solid wire. Bus bars are solid bars or wires used for assembly convenience but have to be over-sized to accommodate the same current due to heating. So smaller gauge stranded wires carry more current because they can cool off more efficiently.

Stranded wire is also more efficient for carrying high frequency current like aviation power systems that run at 400Hz. The current travels along the surface (skin effect) of the wires, so stranded wires can carry far more high frequency current than solid wires. Thus wires can be smaller gauge or even hollow (like braided cables).