Beaver "club"

Started by fprieto, December 18, 2013, 08:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Tom M. on January 28, 2014, 05:30:47 PM
A friend of mine has just aquired a used E-Flite Beaver and though he's been flying for decades is new to electric flight and has asked me for help. Could anyone with one advise as to what servos, motor, prop, ESC and batteries would suit ? (From Hobby King, please, I don't think he wants to pay for the items E-Flite recommends.)
  Tom

Darn!  I've only got my E-Flite Power 32, E-flite 60-Amp Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC , Futaba S3115 Micro Precision servos, APC 13 x6.5 prop and maxAmps 4S4000 batteries for comparison.  You'll have to look for the HK equivalents if you want to go that route, but I would NOT be inclined to send him there, especially given recent discussions about HK in the forum (http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,4462.msg26536.html#msg26536). 

I believe Frank Van Beurden also has the E-flite Beaver.

The Power 25 will do well for wheels only.  I bought the Power 32 to have the option for good float performance, but it gives GREAT vertical performance off ground.

Andy

frajolex

Quote from: piker on January 27, 2014, 04:33:23 PM
Very nice, Andre!  That looks great!

Did you, or Fabiano determine how much weight was added with the repaint?  The concept is very attractive as we know how well the plane works, and all three of the repaints that we've seen here look fantastic!

I used customized vinyl stickers, I don't think the stickers added too much weight, but in any case, I had to paint the whole plane (white)...

I also made another "job" on my cessna....

Andre Albuquerque

Be careful... it's always too close, no matter how far...

frajolex

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on January 28, 2014, 11:51:55 AM
Quote from: frajolex on January 28, 2014, 12:05:35 AM
Quote from: Papa on January 27, 2014, 04:17:17 PM
Why wait? Join now and see us at our next Pilot's Meeting. Second Wednesday of the month at the 2 Monkeys Eatery, Warden just south of the 401. food starts at 6:00pm and meetings at 7:30pm. Lot's of fun.

Jack Higgins

I will try to swing by Wednesday to meet you folks, I've been flying for a while near my home in Ajax, a few planes like the Beaver, Super Cub, Extra 300, Cessna 182, etc.. is there an exam in order to fly on TEMAC's field?

Hi Andre:

Welcome to the TEMAC Forum.

Further to Simon's last post regarding flying at TEMAC, there is a good description of our flight training program on our web site (http://temac.ca/?page_id=250). 

Also, as indicated on our intro page (http://temac.ca/?page_id=152), all members, in order to fly at TEMAC, need to have a membership in the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (www.maac.ca), which provides liability insurance and other benefits.  If you already have your MAAC Wings from another RC club we would still require you to do a check flight with our CFI (Chief Flying Instructor) to confirm your flying proficiency and understanding of TEMAC field and safety rules.  Once he signs off you are good to go.

Looking forward to meeting you at the next Pilots Meeting (Wednesday, Feb 12) at the 3 Monkeys Eatery, 1585 Warden Ave, east side, just south of the 401 (phone:(416) 609-1511).  As Jack noted  food starts at 6:00pm and meeting at 7:30pm.  I know Jack referred to the 2 Monkeys Eatery, but that's because one of the monkeys really loves winter flying at TEMAC and might still be at the field that night!!  Jack might also be trying to see if I am paying attention!!  ;D

Cheers!

Andy Hoffer
Secretary-Treasurer and Membership Director, TEMAC

(variously known as "Arctic Andy", "Igloo Andrew", "Abominable Andy" or "Frostbite Freddy" - see http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,4354.msg26561.html#msg26561 and following posts!!)

I will do my best to be there :)
Andre Albuquerque

frajolex

Friends, sad news... I'm loss of words....  :-\  C-FDTZ died today on its second flight with the new scheme...  apparently an electrical problem....  After a first successful takeoff and landing, the plane died in the air.. no controls at all... it seems it was an electrical problem... ended up in a nose dive.  :'( :'(

Andre Albuquerque

Papa

What a shame and it looked so good. Come to the Pilot's Meeting and we'll all have a beer to drown your sorrows!

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: frajolex on January 31, 2014, 07:20:03 PM
Friends, sad news... I'm loss of words....  :-\  C-FDTZ died today on its second flight with the new scheme...  apparently an electrical problem....  After a first successful takeoff and landing, the plane died in the air.. no controls at all... it seems it was an electrical problem... ended up in a nose dive.  :'( :'(

Andre, so very sorry to hear of the demise of C-FDTZ.  You had done such a beautiful job on it.  Any idea as to what failed?

Andy

frajolex

Quote from: Papa on January 31, 2014, 08:17:42 PM
What a shame and it looked so good. Come to the Pilot's Meeting and we'll all have a beer to drown your sorrows!

Jack.

I'm feeling really bad... I will probably drink whatever is on my sight tonight   >:(
Andre Albuquerque

frajolex

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on January 31, 2014, 08:30:08 PM
Quote from: frajolex on January 31, 2014, 07:20:03 PM

Andre, so very sorry to hear of the demise of C-FDTZ.  You had done such a beautiful job on it.  Any idea as to what failed?

Andy

I changed both battery and ESC connectors to xt60... I think the connector wasn't properly soldered.... after the crash, the battery wires came out from the xt60 connector, one side I can see pieces of metal wire, but the other connection doesn't have any wires...  :-\

This is soo frustrating... such a hard work to finish this plane.... and now back to ground zero
Andre Albuquerque

fprieto

Hey Guys,
I'm very pleased !!!!
The maiden flight of my baby was today.... it flies so nice !!!

No issues due to the paint...

piker

I'm sorry to hear of your crash, Andre.  That sucks!  Will you repair it? 

But I'm happy to hear that your Beaver, Fabiano, flew nicely.  Congrats!

frajolex

Quote from: piker on February 03, 2014, 09:43:08 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your crash, Andre.  That sucks!  Will you repair it? 

But I'm happy to hear that your Beaver, Fabiano, flew nicely.  Congrats!

Yeah, I bought a new beaver the next day... I'm working on the paint again, the good news is, Fabiano inspected the wings, and they are good... so I'm probably only keeping the fuselage + engine, etc...it will take some time.... just in case, I do have several beaver replacement parts (wings, wheel set, rudder, elevator,etc).. I'm accepting offers :)

yesterday I pretty much pushed Fabiano out of his house, I was really looking for a good flight... ended up flying my super cub on skis, while Fabiano flew his Stintson and Beaver... his beaver looks really nice...
Andre Albuquerque

piker

I'm glad to hear it, Andre.  We want you out at the shoreline in the Spring.  And I know, Andy.  There's lots of white water at TEMAC right now  ;D

frajolex

How often do you guys fly floats?
Andre Albuquerque

piker

We're float flying more and more each year.  I'm hoping to float fly as close to once a week as possible, between May and September, this summer.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: piker on February 04, 2014, 09:50:26 AM
I'm glad to hear it, Andre.  We want you out at the shoreline in the Spring.  And I know, Andy.  There's lots of white water at TEMAC right now  ;D

Thanks Rob.  I know Jack really gets worked up when I keep flogging TEMAC winter flying (especially if I use the "quote" button), so it's nice when I get help from other informed, progressive flyers.   ;)

Oh, and by the way, there's a whole lot more white water (8-15 cm) coming tonight and tomorrow.  So the white water season is going to be REALLY REALLY LONNNNNGGGGGGG this year!  Hope to see you and your white water floats this weekend - the forecast is fantastic: Saturday: -6C (wnd chill -11C), wind W 15 kmh, cloudy periods; Sunday: -6C (wind chill -10C), wind NW 5 kmh, few flurries).  High snow boots and snow pants are a very good idea (and maybe a toboggan for carrying your stuff in fro the highway).

Andy