Geotex Runway Installation Update...MONDAY EVENING INSTALL...VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!

Started by Wingnutz, May 01, 2014, 07:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmic

Bill, I used a regular gas mower I think it has a bit more power but nothing special and had sharpened the blade with a dremel before going to the field. It was not the easiest to push it because of the wet grass and the fact it was so close but hope it helped - how did the install work, waiting to see some pictures.

Bobby

sihinch

Thank you so much to all involved. There were 20+ people there tonight and I know some people (like Bobby) have helped during the day. You should all be very proud to have contributed to the start of the next phase of TEMAC.

We wouldn't have been able to do it without Bill, Jack, Frank and Karl from Keswick. You Guys deserve a special thank you. And also Greg Cadez and Ken Ross for doing the initial investigation.

So, here are some pics and video of the first ever take off and landing from our new runway!

http://youtu.be/hXCPMCXjXko

http://youtu.be/UBvumG6_izI

piker

Yes!  Great work everyone!  I was impressed that we were able to get it all installed in one evening.

Thanks to everyone who researched, arranged, and planned for the install.  And to everyone who helped out tonight.

What a great club!

Ededge2002

I agree Robert.

"What a great club"

Attendance was high and enthusiasm was even higher than I had expected. Many worked hard and did a terrific job. Special thanks to Bill for organizing everything.

Admittedly when I was first approached with the idea I didn't anticipate any changes of the types of models I would fly BUT when I got home last night I found myself looking at retract equipped models!  Glen's first flight was that impressive to watch take off and land.

Is it the weekend yet?
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

dangaras

Great job people! Sometimes you just knuckle down and a great job gets done. Thanks to Bill for all the prep work and to all the guys that turned out on Monday.

Now all you closet retract flyers can join the rest of us without fear.

battlestu

it was great to see so many people pitching and helping out!

also can't wait to give it a try with the shoestring and toni  ;D
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Michael

Amazing! Thanks to everyone who helped.

(Sorry guys, I was working last night until after midnight.)

Anyway, I agree with Robert; What a great club!  ;D
Michael

Polecat

Quote from: battlestu on May 06, 2014, 09:19:45 AM
it was great to see so many people pitching and helping out!

also can't wait to give it a try with the shoestring and toni  ;D

Greg   May 24 is not that far away for our first practice pylon race at Orangeville. Spread the word around.

Temac guys your new runway looks great!!!

piker

I wanted to let you guys know about a conversation I had with Richard, from the Toronto Club last night.

Richard is past President of, and is now field officer for, the Toronto Club.  He came by to see how the install was going as they are planning to install a similar runway at their field.

He was very impressed with the number of enthusiastic members we had out to help with the install.  He was apparently concerned about their install as they have a hard time getting people to volunteer with this sort of thing at the Toronto club.  He asked how we were able to get so many people out.  I said "Bill just posted on our message board asking for volunteers".  He was impressed, as was I.   :)

I hope to get out for some flying on the weekend!!!  Maybe another "Day at TEMAC / Evening at Frenchman's Bay" kinda day!!!    ;D

Michael

Robert, I don't want to get all mushy, but, that is heartwarming.

Michael

wollins

For those of us who work in the evenings (and also Sat mornings in my case) I just want to add my thanks to all the volunteers who went out and did the grunt work so that everyone could enjoy the great facilities that we have. (and continue to improve upon year by year)  It's unselfish acts like these that make TEMAC such a great club.

I'm sorry that I can never make it out for these work parties (or the pilot meetings for that matter) because of my work but believe me I appreciate your efforts! Special thanks go out to all the "core players" (you know who you are) who always lead in stepping up to the plate when stuff needs to get done.

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Bobmic

Wingnutz

Haven't been able to post until this morning with the web problems. Sorry!
Monday, a 240x30' runway complete with two taxiways materialized on ROGO Field.
Thanks to many; to the TEMAC executive for deciding months ago to fund the runway, to Karl of Keswick for providing his consulting expertise, to Jack for coaching and encouraging from afar, to Bobby Brenner who scalped the grass on Sunday, to TEMAC's morning men who unloaded the geotex at 11:00 a.m. and two of whom (Craig Campbell and Bruce Weaver) were still around to make the pizza run at 7:00 p.m., to Ken Ross and Graham McNicoll who put in a full day, to Ed, Frank, and Rob and the 20+ volunteers who worked to actually get the material down in one session and to Glenn and Andre who showed us all how much fun it's going to be!
Once again, I am proud to be a TEMACer!
Picture 1...ROGO 8:00 a.m. Monday
Picture 2...ROGO 8:00 p.m. Monday
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

bfeist

I've updated the "Our Field" page on the website to include a great photo that @Michael took of the new runway.
http://temac.ca/?page_id=48

piker

@Wingnutz

Bill,

The last time I was at the field, last Friday evening, the runway was nice and tight and people were enjoying how flat and "bouncy" it was/is.  But I recall that part of the installation process is to staple the fabric in a 2 to 3 feet grid over the surface.  Is this still part of the plan, and if so, is there a planned time we'll do this... or are we leaving as is for now BECAUSE it's so nice and flat?