Canadair Waterbomber 48" wingspan

Started by Michael, January 23, 2022, 05:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I've built several Waterbombers over the years, and it's time for another one. This one will be a semi-scale model, all balsa (maybe some plywood), with a wingspan of about 48", and will be a simple 4-channel operation.

The first step was to produce a 3-view drawing, exactly ΒΌ the size of the model. This way, I measure the drawing, multiply by four, and cut balsa as needed. Basically, I'm making it up as I go along.

Michael

Michael

Fuselage sides and some formers fabricated.

Michael

octagon

What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

Stabilizer and elevator under construction: parts fabricated.

Michael

Michael

Stabilizer/elevator assembled and glued, sheeted, shaped and sanded.

Next, I prepared a drawing of the fin/rudder.

Michael

GuyOReilly

@Michael is the stab and elevator covered in 1/32 or 1/16 balsa?
Just curious.
Looks great.
Guy

bfeist

I saw the first post dated Jan 23 and that it was Michael, and fully expected to scroll down and see a completed airplane. Michael, you're slowing down in your old age.

sihinch

He's also getting smaller, I think!  ;D

Michael

Quote from: GuyOReilly on January 25, 2022, 10:22:04 AM
@Michael is the stab and elevator covered in 1/32 or 1/16 balsa?
Just curious.
Looks great.
Guy

Very light 1/16th.
Michael

Michael

Quote from: bfeist on January 25, 2022, 02:00:03 PM
I saw the first post dated Jan 23 and that it was Michael, and fully expected to scroll down and see a completed airplane. Michael, you're slowing down in your old age.

I just finished another bigger model on January 14.

However, it is true, I'm working slower to spread out the fun.
Michael

Michael

Michael

Michael

Fin/rudder: pieces cut, assembled, glued, sheeted, shaped and sanded.

Very light but very strong.
Michael

Michael

Tight and secure fit (not glued yet).

Michael

Michael

V-shaped bottom/hull: a support structure is constructed, sheeting applied, and sanded smooth.

Medium-hard 3/32" balsa sheeting at the front; 1/16" sheeting at the rear.

Michael

Michael

Starting on the wing. This will be fully sheeted when finished; hopefully light but strong. I'm doing a lot of thinking as I progress, planning the construction and considering the layout of the wiring, nacelles, servos, ailerons, tip-floats, etc. I'm working slowly and carefully so all the parts fit precisely. The bottom sheeting, upon which I will build, is cut straight so pieces can be glued together. The edges of the balsa sheets are not always straight, even when purchased brand new. The square carbon fiber tube in the photos is extremely strong.

Michael