Canadair Waterbomber 48" wingspan

Started by Michael, January 23, 2022, 05:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Wing under construction.
Michael

GuyOReilly

Love your work! 
Looking forward to seeing it fly, when the water becomes less solid...
Guy

Michael

Michael

Michael

Ailerons constructed. Also, webbing is installed (vertical grain balsa sheet in between the ribs, contacting the top and bottom wing spars).

Michael

Michael

Nacelles and motor mounts.

Not yet glued in place.
Michael

Michael

Wing is fitted and attached to the fuselage. It's beginning to look like a Canadair Waterbomber.

Michael

octagon

What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

I'm taking a break from working on the wing, and moving to the front fuselage. Basically, I'm building a structure onto which I will apply balsa sheeting.

Michael

Michael

A bit more work. Actually, that was a lot more work. I'm tired; that's enough for today.

It's looking more and more like the intended subject.

Michael

GuyOReilly

Michael

The front fuselage framing is done.

Michael

Michael

The fuselage is put aside, and I'm continuing work on the wing. Today: the tip floats.

I thought about building these up with a frame and outer balsa sheet, but decided instead on solid balsa, carved to shape.

I used different thickness sheets, glued together cross-grain, and then carefully carved and sanded to shape. These are firmly held onto the wing with magnets; they will release with lateral force, preventing damage. This is my solution to what is usually a weak spot on models with tip floats.

Michael

Michael

Winglets constructed of 2 rib-shaped layers of tapered trailing edge balsa, and 2 layers of cross-grain-glued balsa sheet. These will be shaped and sanded once the top wing is sheeted.

I was concerned that these would be cumbersome (in storage and transportation), and was considering holding these onto the wing with magnets, but since the wingspan is only about 4 feet, I don't think they'll be a problem. I'll just glue them on once the covering is done.

Michael

Michael

Aileron servos sit in carefully constructed pockets, in order to be removable for adjustments.

Michael

octagon

Very impressive. I like the way you built the nose.
What could possibly go wrong?