Balsa USA Northstar

Started by Michael, February 18, 2022, 10:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I crashed my much cherished Northstar. I had repeated radio problems causing uncontrollable rolls. Despite getting it safely on the ground, I stupidly tried for another flight and then smashed it into the ice.

It was not totally destroyed, but I decided to buy and build a new one, as there were a few problems in the previous one that were inherent in the build.

It was not water-proof (there were holes for landing gear, and the aileron and rudder linkages were low and would have been submerged if placed on water), thus unflyable from water, the elevator had slop (would slip up a down a bit on its own), and the rudder wasn't very effective on the ground.

Michael

Michael

Here I go. I will post photos, but basically I will concentrate on, and point out, the changes I make to suit what I want.

The wing is started.
Michael

Michael

I'm slowly working on the wing.

First modification: No landing gear. I flew my previous version for 4 years without landing gear, so I will not build any of the landing gear supports in the wing.

Since this is something I'm not doing, photos of my non-work are not necessary.
Michael

Michael

Initial wing construction is done. All parts and construction for landing gear were left out.

Work on the fuselage commences.

Michael

Frank v B

Michael,

Regarding your modifications: "Since this is something I'm not doing, photos of my non-work are not necessary."

Here is the photo support.

Frank

ps: sorry Michael.  It has been a long and miserable winter ;)
The funniest part... I actually had to reduce the photos of nothing in order to be able to post them.  Ben F. had the last laugh. 8)
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

Fuselage construction under way ....

Modifications include cutting (mostly rectangular) holes in the formers to allow for the power system wires, and no bracing for the (not-to-be-used) front landing gear.

Although I haven't yet decided on how to install servos, I did drill holes in the formers, for flexible pushrods, as per instructions, in case I follow the intended plans/instructions servo installation.
Michael

Michael

More work on the fuselage, as per instructions, except:

The instructions call for vertical balsa supports for the former onto which the front landing gear would attach. Since I'm not installing landing gear, the supports are being omitted.

Michael

Michael

Okay, I'm at a crossroad.

Do I install the linkages as per instructions, meaning that some will exit the fuselage under the water-line, or do I make significant changes.

Things to consider:

- Many of these planes have been built as per instructions and they function well. (I suppose I could try to water-proof the linkages as best as possible.)
- Installing linkages above the wing could/would bring them close to the spinning propeller.
- The standard installation doesn't swing the upper rudder.
- The standard installation leaves slop (looseness) in the elevator deflection.

I think I will install the flexible pushrod tubes as per instructions anyway, but I think I will install smaller servos in the tail for the elevator and upper rudder.
Michael

Gregor77

Bell crank it at the top of the wing?  Servos at the middle of the fuse?

Michael

Quote from: Gregor77 on March 02, 2022, 12:59:48 PM
Bell crank it at the top of the wing?  Servos at the middle of the fuse?

I don't understand.

Bell crank what at the top of the wing?

Servos at the middle of the fuse for what?
Michael

Michael

All flexible pushrod sleeves installed, except of course the throttle cable for a internal combustion engine.

They're secured very well, and I don't think there's any 'slop'.

Michael

Michael

Front plywood former cut open so the battery can be placed forward, to help with balancing.

Cut-outs in a fin former for power and radio wires.

Michael

Michael

Nose block glued on and mostly shaped.

Wing fitted to the fuselage.

Michael

Michael

I've been spending a lot of time and effort on the wing.

There's a fair amount of measuring, cutting, sanding, shaping and curving parts. It's a bit challenging at times, but the built-up structure is really beautiful, and worth the effort.

In my previous model, the propeller came off the motor shaft a few times, and the spinning cut a series of slashes through the top wing and fuselage. Although these were easy to repair, there were also cuts to the radio and power wires. In order to avoid that, I've decided to put all electrical wiring (to the rear of the plane; the motor will be at the rear on the front of the fin) in the bottom of the fuselage, under the wing.

Other than planning where the wiring will be, there have been no modifications to the construction of the wing.

Michael

Gregor77

Sorry, I was trying to say, keep the two alerion servos in the center fuse, use a bell crank set up to run the rods to the outer wing.   keeps servos dry!