How fast is fast for an RC Car?

Started by Ededge2002, December 07, 2013, 11:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ededge2002

Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

pmackenzie

bfeist

What the hell. Pat, that is seriously fast.

pmackenzie

There are some good pictures of the car on the RCG thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2034632&highlight=car

Also check out the steam powered tether boat video posted in the same thread.
It sounds like it is IC engine, but it is powered by a "flash steam" boiler and some sort of converted 2 stroke motor.
I think it is sort of like a CO2 motor,  the high pressure steam is injected at the top of the stroke and then exits through the exhaust port.

You can hear the burners going heating up the boiler coils, then he spins it up to "start" it.

Flash steam hydro of Bob Kirtly

This  reminds me of a conversation I had with a guy at the flying field a few years ago.
We were talking about a very well known aerodynamics guy who is also an excellent and well known modeller.
He had met him at a contest and said he was a bit of an oddball. I pointed out that all modellers are :)

Just think of the time and effort that the three guys in these videos have gone to in what could only be charitably described as obscure pursuits.
For the simple reason that they wanted to do it.

Pat MacKenzie

Michael

I've never timed it, but you guys should see how fast Simon's car goes when his wife calls him at TEMAC and tells him he was supposed to be home an hour ago!
Michael

sihinch

Ededge2002

Quote from: sihinch on December 08, 2013, 12:15:33 AM
Sad, but true!

Sad but true...   But he survived and fought another battle another day.  its nice to sleep with both eyes closed.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?