Blown ESC???

Started by Papa, January 15, 2014, 11:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

I posted this comment on my blog but I guess it may have been missed. Any ideas?

"I just blew a capacitor off my brand new speed control!

I was testing all the wiring because once I finish the model it will be inaccessible.
Also some of the extensions are 36" long and I assembled them myself so I wanted
to double check. All the servo's worked fine so I thought OK now let's try the motors.

Hooked up the motors and got four beeps for 4 cells but nothing else.
Since the ESC's were located about 24" from the motor I was not watching them.
The motors did not make any happy music so I checked to see if the Tx was reversed.
At this stage everything had been hooked up for about a minute. There was a loud pop
followed by grey smoke and a burnt electrical smell. One ESC was hot but not too hot to hold.
The other one was cold. The hot one had popped the capacitor right off the PC board.
The capacitor had one wire only the other was smoke. The scorch marks are only around
the one capacitor.

The test battery was a 4 cell 5,000mA but was on storage charge and now I'm wondering if
that might be a cause or did I just get a bad ESC. They were HK brand 60A with a BEC.
The one with the disconnected BEC was the cool one. Any ideas?

Jack."
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

thehaze

I'm guessing that the ESC was a dud from the get go.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Papa

You may be right, The second one is dead as well. I tested the systems with an Electrifly ESC and all worked well.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Andy Hoffer