Head Scratcher

Started by Bigstik, January 04, 2014, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigstik

Have another doozie that I'm throwing out to the TEMAC brothers.

I had the E-flite UMX Sbach. Keyword 'had'. It decided to part ways with me and took a nose dive into the bleachers at the local soccer dome about a year ago.

Salvaged all the parts. While  trying to get the servos off the AS6410NBL rx, the AUX connector pulled off the board.

My flying has improved, and I really like the Sbach, so rather than buy a whole new UMX Sbach, I got the parts. wing, fuse and tail of the red Sbach which I like better. So far so good everything fits together. I figured I'd use a y harness to connect the two ailerons. But they don't work in opposite directions, but together.

Are these little servos non reversible? I thought for sure they'd go in different directions, but it seems not.

I also tried plugging the 'spare' aileron into the 'xport' on the rx to mix AIL>Gear, but that doesn't work either. All I've managed to do is stop the L ail from moving when the flap sw is act.

Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone have a spare AS6410NBL rx with nothing to do.

Bigstik
Bigstik

Ededge2002

I believe you have to set the second flap to channel 5 instead of 6 (or visa versa) within the radio
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

pmackenzie

The servos are reversible, with a little "doohickey" they come with if you buy them separately.
Looks like an aileron extension, pretty sure it just shorts the servo side signal to ground.

You put it in line and power up the servo to toggle normal and reverse operation. It does not stay in line during use, you just use it to change direction.

I should have a couple of them around if you need one and can't find one at the LHS.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/SPM6825

FWIW, the AR6400 (and its variants) also has two operating modes dealing with the second aileron.
In one it effectively "Y" connects them, in the other the second servo is ch6.

Having said all that, could you just flip the servo around to reverse it?

Pat MacKenzie

Bigstik

Thanks Pat. I think my only option is to remove one wing servo and reverse it.

Bigstik
Bigstik

Bigstik

Just checked the reverser, like that better than the switcheroo.

Bigstik

Wingnutz

Attached are photos from the AR6400 manual which explain how to split the "Y harnessing" standard in the AR6400. Once you've set your wing type to dual ailerons(assuming Spektrum transmitter), it should allow you to reverse one aileron without reversing the other. Done it several times on my scratch built micros.
Might be worth a try. BTW, I usually end up with elastics holding the Tx sticks in the correct position as I only have two hands and without the elastics, you'll need at least three!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

pmackenzie

The way I read his post he damaged the 6410BL board, pulling off the ch6 connector.
So no option anymore to use it that way. Hence the Y connector.

Depending on his transmitter he might be able to mix ch6 down to ch5, but that often has issues as well.
Or he might be able to assign the second aileron to ch5, but I think only some of the higher end Spektrum txs let you do that?

Bigstik

I'm using my DX8, and the rx is the AS6410NBL which has the AS3X technology. Seems the only option is the Spectrum Reverser.

Thanks for the input fellas.

Bigstik
Bigstik

Bigstik

Just noticed that the missing connecter is the REVERSED aileron. That sort of explains things.

Bigstik
Bigstik

Wingnutz

Quote from: pmackenzie on January 05, 2014, 12:14:56 AM
The way I read his post he damaged the 6410BL board, pulling off the ch6 connector.
So no option anymore to use it that way. Hence the Y connector.

Depending on his transmitter he might be able to mix ch6 down to ch5, but that often has issues as well.
Or he might be able to assign the second aileron to ch5, but I think only some of the higher end Spektrum txs let you do that?
Sorry I missed the part about the missing ch6 port. Thanks for the correction.
John, did you find a y-harness compatible with the e-flite plugs and sockets?
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Bigstik

I do have the Spektrum Y, but it doesn't solve the problem. The solution is the Spektrum Reverser.

Bigstik
Bigstik

pmackenzie

Just so it is clear, the reverser does not stay connected in the model.

You just put it in, power everything up, wait a few seconds, then power it down.
Remove it and reconnect it as normal and the servo will have changed direction.

Do it again and it will go back the way it was.

I looked around and found mine, so if you can't find one you can borrow it.

Pat MacKenzie

Bigstik

Got the reverser and as you said, it doesn't stay 'in', but reverses the servo. It's magic!

Thanks Pat.

Bigstik
Bigstik