Skywriter 2014 Build Class

Started by sihinch, March 06, 2014, 08:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

I can't even find what I built last year!  :(
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Michael

First meeting of the fall-2014 building class was lead by Frank VB, and attended by: Jack H; Robert P, Bill Q and Michael R.

We had supper in the restaurant and then descended into the meeting room, where Frank essentially built a good part of an upper wing of his Skywriter.

We discussed various building techniques and variations from the plans, and of course, understanding the personalities present, endured plenty of stupid jokes and puns.

It was a lot of fun!  ;D

Frank will talk to Jack and make sure the next meeting more accurately targets the needs of those who will attend. As well, anyone can bring their model along and build at the class.

Michael

piker

Yep!  It was fun to get together and shoot the poop about the Sky Writer build, planes in general, and some MAAC politics  ;D

I hope more students show up next time so we can move ahead on the build.  Michael's anxious to test fly his Sky Writer  :o

Oh, and Frank... You drove away and left your bag of wood laying in a puddle.  I scooped it up and brought it home.  Thanks for the donation.  Now I don't have to cut out all the parts for my Sky Writer.

Frank v B

Robert,

Now I have to be nice to you.... until 30 seconds after I get my hands on the bag of wood. ;D   I'll buy it back at the Pilot's Meeting.  A can of Coke should do.

Thanks for picking it up.... and telling me about it. :D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

piker

I have all the Coke I need.  Just a lifetime of undying gratitude will suffice   ;)

Wingnutz

What is the focus for Monday night and what are we supposed to have finished?

Papa

The focus is the upper wing and you should have the lower wing complete.

However if you are not quiet there yet bring what you have and we will work with you to get you and anyone else up to date. We won't go forward until all have caught up.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

piker

Jack,

Are we still going to have one table working to catch up (Frank) and another (me) showing sheeting techniques?  If so, I'm ready to do my part, but I'm wondering how those catching up will learn about sheeting.  Does is just make sense to have one table (Frank) showing / building everything in order?

Is the plan to have everyone bring in their work and build during the class to get us all (except Michael) at the same level?  If you want to do that, I can float as a helper.

Papa

I think we need to get everyone as close in their build as possible so we can go forward at the same pace. So please float and bring the wing anyway just in case. We may have to wait sheeting until next meeting.

Jack.

A motto to live by:

piker

Makes sense.  It'll be fun!

Wingnutz

Taking care of my dad this morning, so while he was sleeping, worked at framing my top wing. Ran out of trailing edge so will have to go to P to get some. Waiting for the white glue to dry before I move it.  Beyond gluing in the ply strut mounting pieces, anything else needs to be done before sheeting...1/16 sheeting?
My bottom wing's about the same stage...top in the picture

Papa

The lugs for the struts have to be glued in plus the ply braces for the cabane and it is 1/16.

Check out the instructions it has the steps outlined.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

piker

I can't recall if they're called for in the instructions or on the plans, but I added shear webs to mine.

Wingnutz

piker

That's what I used.  I just glued onto the back edges of the spars.