deHavilland Mosquito 75th Anniversary

Started by RogMason, November 30, 2015, 10:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogMason

Yesterday was the 75th anniversary of the first flight of W4050 deHavilland Mosquito. Any club members who haven't seen this might be interested in the following webpage and especially the old black & white film at the bottom of the page.  It is a brief history of many of the DH early designs leading up to and including in particular, some very interesting footage on the design and construction of the Mosquito.  It's a bit corny in presentation but interesting all the same.

As modellers, we can see the parallels in the construction of this balsa wood and Canadian birch plywood airframe and that of our modern day models.  The same principals apply all these years later, even at a smaller scale. Of the 7,800+ built, over 1100 of these remarkable aircraft were manufactured right here in Toronto at the Downsview DH factory - now Bombardier, which makes this anniversary even more special.

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/dehavilland-mosquito-prototype-wins-restoration-funding.html
'Roger That...'

octagon

Thanks Rog,
Loved that black and white movie. Makes me want to get my Mossie out and fly it right now.
What could possibly go wrong?

piker

Yes!  Thanks for the information and link.  I'll have to watch the video when I get home.

Wingnutz

Wow Rog!
Pretty cool having our own DH guy in the club! and... a Mosquito guy to boot! Thanks so much for your post...learned a lot about Mossies! I still mourn the disappearance of DH Canada and its evolution into a characterless, anonymous corporate entity ...a snowmobile company...forgive us Geoffery!
My BH Mossie (TMH.."Black Rufe", from 418 intruder squadron) remains my favourite model!
I tried to post your Lightning e-mail here, but it didn't copy successfully...too bad...good stuff!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

dangaras

Bigstik

Beautiful airplane! When I worked at DeHavilland in the early eighties, I worked with a woman, Yvonne. She was an older woman, sixties, who had worked on the Mosquito assembly line during the war. She was a very interesting woman.

Bigstik