Confession of a Wingnut

Started by Wingnutz, July 30, 2013, 11:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

I am hoping this confession will not result in my TEMAC membership being cancelled
"I flew a fuel powered model today (not at ROGO) and...gulp...I enjoyed it!" :o
I also remembered what I didn't like about nitro power...oil all over everything, engines which don't start simply by pushing the throttle and sometimes won't start at all, a loud high-pitched buzzing if the thing does start, lassos to keep the model under control when it starts...

Still, it was fun and ...I may do it again :D i
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

sihinch

Traitor!

But we still love you - it was a model plane after all.

Michael

Michael

BobbyW

Yah, right.... go to the "other side" after you've convinced me that electric is the way to go  :)
Aerofly 5 R/C Flight Simulator for Mac
E-flite Apprentice S 15e RTF
HobbyZone Micro Champ RTF
Spectrum DX8

Ededge2002

There are definitely some sounds,  sensations and frustrations that accompany flying glow. I did it for years and enjoyed it till I made the transition to E-power.  Now I just make the noises in my head,  save the paper towels for spilled drinks and swear at my charger when its taking too long. 
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Skyking

Sacrilidge! you should be smited.

It's fortunate that you pointed out the negatives of your experience: oil, stink, noise.

May you be not tempted again by the foul machines! May your poor judgement be forgiven! May not men see your evil! May you repent!

Your good friend Ken
Actually, I can.

piker

I think it's like other people's kids.  Fun to be around for a little while, as long as someone else cleans up after them and you don't have to listen to them all day.

I've often thought I would like to get a glow plane, just to experience another aspect of the hobby.  After all, those small engines are a technical wonder.  But whenever I plan for my next plane, I never even consider using a glow engine.  Why would I?

Robert

Ededge2002

At the end of my glow flying carrier I used up my remaining glow fuel mixed in my lawnmower 1:4. It gave it a little extra pep in the long grass and smelled like the rc airplane field.  Good times!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Papa

That sounded like the dying cry of a fast approaching anachronism.

Now put it away in your museum.

You sound like a smoker that gave it up years ago but still has a secret longing.

Never mind Michael and Ken will set up counselling services in the fall to be held before the Pilot's Meetings.

Jack. 
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Wingnutz

Wow! You guys are a tough audience but fun to tease!  ;D
Almost as defensive as the gas heads when you start talking the strengths of electrics!
Okay, I flew electrics today...Polaris at ROGO in the morning and Mosquito at the Toronto Field in the evening...both electric.
However, my car now has a faint odour of nitro fuel and if I inhale...I may cave again...(just kidding!) my batteries are charging as I post!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Papa

We wouldn't tease you if we didn't love you.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

sihinch

Bill - the answer is easy.  Stay flying electric but use nitro fuel as aftershave........ ;D

MarcV

I still have one nitro plane left, wouldn't trade it for an electric.
"There's nothing like the smell of nitro in the morning"
or the afternoon  :D

Marc