Old School Model Works Minuette build

Started by msatin, November 14, 2023, 01:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msatin

Before I start on the Minuette, here is another kit I completed from OSMW called a Mambo.
If I'm happy with the way it fles, I will add some decals etc
You never fail until you stop trying

msatin

1st a note about OSMW kits.
I doubt most of their kits would be challenging enough for an experienced builder, but for a 2nd or 3rd build, I highly reccommend them.
The plans are easy to read, and the step by step instructions are mostly accompanied by pics.
In addition to the build manual, they also have high res pics of most of the steps on their website. I found these to be very helpful
https://oldschoolmodels.com/mpics/minuette/
An experienced builder will not find this build thread particularly interesting because it is, for the most part, very straightforward.
I'm hoping it demonstrates to anyone considering bulding a kit, that even with very little experience, it is possible to build a really nice aircraft.
I should also mention to new builders, that TEMAC has some great builders who are always willing to provide tips, tricks, and advice.
They have been a great source of knowledge to me, for which I'm very appreciative!

Although not identical to Elder, the Minuette is very similar, and a much easier build.
My work table at the start of the build (it will NEVER look like this again!), and the one wing half.
On the wall you'll see a cross reference table showing various widths of balsa with the fraction, decimal and metric equivalents. I'm a bit of a goof, and like to verify I'm using the correct width. I use a digital caliper for this, but it only displays in decimals or metric. The manual uses fractions.  ;D

msatin

Center wing section and Elevator.
As you can see, the pre bent elevator wire joiner from the factory was done incorrectly, so I had to straighten the rod, and then rebend it.
This elevator section is then sandwiched in between 2 other pieces and the joiner is then glued into the slot.
I will also be applying fibreglass to the areas of elevator where the rod is inserted. This idea is from Frank, and is meant to strengthen the elevator and ensure no "slop"

msatin

This "sandwiching" idea was repeated for the H and V stab as well as the rudder

msatin

The h-stab became a little warped, so I sprayed a little Windex on, placed in on the table with a piece of ply on it, weighed it down, let dry overnight, and it's now flat.

msatin

The fuselage in various stages of completion

msatin

Attaching the motor mount/firewall to the fuselage.

msatin

Like the Elder, the back half of the fuselage is not covered, so you want to get the horizontal and vertical cross framing strips to as aligned as possible.
The vertical pieces were placed into position when the fuselage was on it's side pinned to the plans.
I clamped square strips to the verticals which allowed me to line up the horizontal strips on both top and bottom.

msatin

The canopy came next
Once the stringers were in place, I had to form 1/16" balsa over them to get the correct shape.
This was done by again 1st sprying Windex on the sheet.
I tried using clamps and painters tape, but because the sheet was wet, the tape wouldn't adhere.
The electrical tape did the trick.
Also - you'll notice that I placed small pieces of thin balsa between the sheet and the clamps. This prevented the clamp from making indentations in the sheet

msatin

Although there are a couple of odds and ends left, most of the construction and sanding is now completed.
Staining, covering and installing electronics, will be done over the next few days.
One of the more challenging details will be installing the pull-pull servo hardware for the elevator and rudder.
As I progress through the next steps I will post more

GuyOReilly

Looks fantastic!!   
Pull/pull cables - going old school!!
Great pictures, @Frank v B will be jealous of your photographer skills. ;)

What will the colour scheme be?   ???

msatin

Thanks Guy,
The wings and tail feathers will be covered in cream Ultracote, and the fuselage will be stained in a light color.

Michael

Michael

msatin

Before drilling the holes for the wing bolts I had to make sure the wing was in alignment.
I do this by making a small knot in the string so that it can be held against a fixed poin on the wing. In this case the outside corner of the Aileron "bay"
The other end gets held against the end point of the fuselage. Then move over to the side of the wing. Adjust as necessary. (FYI - I only tied the string to fuselage take the pic)

msatin

I glassed the 2 sides of the elevator for stability. This shows the area that I covered.
1 - Smear both sides in epoxy.
2 - Pull the fabric taught.
3 - Add more epoxy if needed to ensure full penetration
4 - Apply wax paper (which doesn't stick to epoxy) to both sides. Wait 24 hours.
Once the was paper is removed the surface is as smooth as glass. Came out very nice (Thanks Frank!)