Minimoa 105"

Started by GuyOReilly, November 06, 2019, 12:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

That's fantastic news @GuyOReilly !  So glad to help out, especially someone who so willingingly helps me to keep @Frank v B (a.k.a. De Vliegende Hollander) under control!   ;D

Alpha November Delta Yankee

GuyOReilly

On the scale, 4 pounds 4 ounces, with battery, ready for Maiden Flight... or fright...  :o

GuyOReilly

Maiden flight completed.  ;D
Winds 15G30/35 if one is to believe @Andy Hoffer .
More pictures from Andy to come later.  ;)
Happy with the flight performance, landing needs some improvements...  :o
Also, Andy needs to know right from left as the rudder was reversed (I did not notice it either, but we are talking about Andy here, not me...  ???::)

Michael

Congratulations!

Both planes are nice!
Michael

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: GuyOReilly on May 23, 2021, 04:32:54 PM
Also, Andy needs to know right from left as the rudder was reversed (I did not notice it either, but we are talking about Andy here, not me...  ???::)

Sorry @GuyOReilly .  My brain toggled into français when you were calling out the rudder directions.  At least I got the launch direction  right! ;D

Andy

GuyOReilly

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on May 23, 2021, 08:31:25 PM

Sorry @GuyOReilly .  My brain toggled into français when you were calling out the rudder directions.  At least I got the launch direction  right! ;D

Andy
No worries @Andy Hoffer , I did not use the rudder during the landing.  :-X.
I should have checked by placing myself BEHIND the plane.  My rookie mistake.  ::)

Andy Hoffer

Beautiful maiden flight by @GuyOReilly (see "WANTED" poster in last photo!)  (And why wouldn't you believe Andy???!  ;D)

Andy

GuyOReilly

Thank you @Andy Hoffer for these beautiful in-flight pictures and moral support.
Thank you @Michael for your compliment.
The green and blue plane will fly next time I am at the field.

The repair to the center section is minor, but will require a new carbon fibre rod as the right one has splitered.
Also the part holding the rod was balsa and will be replaced, possibly by a piece of 2X4 pine.

In sumary, flight characteristics and maiden flight summary:
1- flies great on 1/2 power.
2- @Andy Hoffer can hand-launch anytime for me, perfect departure.
3- no trim needed... how could I trim with all that wind  ;D
4- responsive to all control inputs, no need to change amount of movement, except for rudder.
5- rudder needs to operate in the correct 😌 direction... DUH!!
6- need to add motor hard breaking to stop the prop from windmilling.
7- happy with results, perhaps consider a dolly to launch when Andy is not available.  ;)

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: GuyOReilly on May 23, 2021, 10:32:11 PM
Thank you @Andy Hoffer for these beautiful in-flight pictures and moral support.
Thank you @Michael for your compliment.
The green and blue plane will fly next time I am at the field.

The repair to the center section is minor, but will require a new carbon fibre rod as the right one has splitered.
Also the part holding the rod was balsa and will be replaced, possibly by a piece of 2X4 pine.

In sumary, flight characteristics and maiden flight summary:
1- flies great on 1/2 power.
2- @Andy Hoffer can hand-launch anytime for me, perfect departure.
3- no trim needed... how could I trim with all that wind  ;D
4- responsive to all control inputs, no need to change amount of movement, except for rudder.
5- rudder needs to operate in the correct 😌 direction... DUH!!
6- need to add motor hard breaking to stop the prop from windmilling.
7- happy with results, perhaps consider a dolly to launch when Andy is not available.  ;)

@GuyOReilly  I think you want hard braking on the motor.  Hard breaking usually means expensive repairs.  ;D

Andy

GuyOReilly

Damage was more extensive than previously estimated.  :o
Repair required extensive centre section modifications.
Photo # 86 - Entire centre section gutted.
Photo # 87 - A pine block of 2X4 cut down to size and drilled to accept 1/2 inch brass tubing.
Photo # 89 - Brass tubing temporarily in place.  Hole was drilled at 10.5 Degrees from vertical to mach dihedral.
Photo # 90 - Block temporarily in place, bit of sanding needed for better fit and to adjust dihedral and rake.
Photo # 93 - Front view showing the angle.

Still more to do, such as reducing the weight of the 5.2 ounces (149 grams) of the pine block.   ???
Alignment with wings on and final attachment of the pine block.

The idea of using a pine block came from @Frank v B judicious use of this method for landing gears.  Thank you Frank, it works great for this application.

GuyOReilly

Repair underway.  ;D There was no damage to the wing on account of solid wing spar box construction using hard wood.
Metal pieces on top of wing are temporarily placed to help ensure good epoxy bonding of central block.
Still need to figure out how to program the engine brake.  ???
Reading the instructions and doing it are 2 different things  ::)

Andy Hoffer

Hey @GuyOReilly

All it needs now are gun turrets and bomb racks!  ;D

Andy

GuyOReilly

Fibreglassing the fuselage at the wing root.
Should be strong enough for the suggested power plant @Andy Hoffer;)

GuyOReilly

ESC problem located.   :o
A new ESC was plugged in and everything works fine now.   ;D 

Andy Hoffer