SIG Clip-Wing Cub

Started by battlestu, September 01, 2012, 11:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

battlestu

As Simon would say it's time to get off the loo and stop looking at the instructions .... first step unroll the plans and get some wax paper
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Gregor77

Oh my.  More balsa building.  Lol.

bfeist

Right on, more touch-and-gos with Glenn and I.

battlestu

Quote from: bfeist on September 02, 2012, 08:35:31 AM

That is the game plan... maybe a set of floats as well :)

So i grouped up all the bits and pieces ... man that is a lot of balsa

bfeist

Quote from: battlestu on September 04, 2012, 03:41:09 PM
Quote from: bfeist on September 02, 2012, 08:35:31 AM

That is the game plan... maybe a set of floats as well :)

So i grouped up all the bits and pieces ... man that is a lot of balsa

Looks like a plane already :)

piker

Greg,

I have a tool that makes this sort of building a real joy (not required but a nice to have).  When building trusses out of 1/4" balsa, as you'll be doing for the entire fuselage, it is important to get nice, square, end cuts on the sticks so you get a clean, solid, glue joint.  The tool I use is this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/3/StationaryTools/StationarySanders/PRD~0553551P/Mastercraft+1-in.+Belt%2BDisc+Sander.jsp?locale=en

but if I was to buy a new one I'd get this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/3/StationaryTools/StationarySanders/PRD~0553559P/Mastercraft+4-in.+Belt%2BDisc+Sander.jsp?locale=en

The disc sander on the side is the best for squaring off the end of the sticks, and allows fine adjustments of the angle until the fit is just right.  I would go for the second option now as the larger belt is more useful than the thin belt in my opinion.  I leave the belt off so the disk runs smooth and quiet.  You can get a DuraGrit disc from Jogn Dutkoski if you really want the ultimate in sanding pleasure.

If you use a tool like this, you will not want to cover the plane when you're done  ;D  I look forward to doing the same with my SE5a.

Robert

battlestu

thanks Rob that is good advice... got half the fuse built the other night but i'm going to put this project on hold.

Got myself a new plane that needs some attention and all Pogo's should be afraid....

I'm Not Afraid.

Gregor77

battlestu

doh... now the secret is out

Gregor77

sts41

I checked on Kijiji for a sander like Robert mentioned...There is all kinds of them for sale...All around $70 few as low as $50. They are all the bigger unit. May pick one up before I head home.

Steve

battlestu

With all the crap-tacular weather we have been having i was able to get some building done on ye ole Cub

bfeist

Quote from: battlestu on October 15, 2012, 10:48:59 AM
With all the crap-tacular weather we have been having i was able to get some building done on ye ole Cub

Very nice Greg. I love the look of those leading edge formers on a cub. Very scale. Those pictures make me want to build something. How about I do the building and someone else does the covering? (I hate covering).

Ben

battlestu

thanks Ben.....i heard Cadez can be bought for a six pack (or two) to do work on a plane ;)

piker

Nice work, greg!  You're flyin'!

BTW, what are those square holes in the riblets for?

Robert