Skywriter 2014 Build Class

Started by sihinch, March 06, 2014, 08:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

If you used the spruce spars then shear webs may be overkill but if you used balsa spars shear webs would be a necessity.

I don't know what was in the short kit but I used Obechi spars on mine since its true scratch built. I'll also show you a trick I did with the leading and trailing edges. I'm trying to use up old stock I have lying around from other builds.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Gregor77

I had an opportunity to visit the class and I was pleasently suprised how much you can learn in just 30 mins of this class.  If anyone is interested, you should stop by and learn from theses guys!  Expect Simon, he should have a class on what 'not' to do when building model planes.  Just kidding... But please check it out, I am going to try to go next class, it was fun!

Wingnutz

Greg came mainly to drink beer and eat wings! ;D
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

sihinch

Since Jack started it......going back to April 3rd, my formers are warped and my straightening method didn't work.  So will you please show us how to fix them (not make new ones)?

piker

I wonder if wetting them, then placing them under a flat board (or piece of glass) until dry would work.  Maybe you could even place them between towels to help them dry with limited airflow.

However, as ugly as they are, being a little twisted, I think they will straighten out when you build them into an assembly.

sihinch

That's what I did last time, to try and flatten them!

piker

You made them good and wet, or just put them under a flat surface?

sihinch

Wet them, put them between 2 pieces of hardened glass and then put 40lbs of weight on them and left them for 2 months!

They were straight when I took them out but now they have warped again.

piker

Then just straighten them as you glue them to the fuselage sides.  It'll be fine

piker

Skywritter class tonight!!

Can't wait!   ;D

sihinch

I'm looking forward to it. I need some help shaping the sheeting on the nose, around my new shaped formers.

piker

Another great building class last night!

Michael worked hard to help Kevin get most of his lower wing built (after completing Kevin's upper wing in preparation for the class), Simon modified away on the nose of his Skywritter, Bill showed his plans for his modified Skywritter fuselage, and Jack, Frank, and I sat around to shoot the poop.  We were just missing Ben!

A lot of fun talkin' planes, as always

sihinch

It was fantastic!  I had so much fun and felt so much satisfaction at progressing with a little complex problem (like modifying the nose.)

I got expert advice and input from Frank, Jack and Robert, and I'm very grateful.  And I'm excited about seeing the results - I really think it will work!  :D

And Michael's jokes were almost worth the trip, alone!  ;D

Thanks everyone.

Papa

I agree Michael should always take a trip .... alone!

LOL

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"