V tail set-up

Started by sihinch, May 20, 2014, 01:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

I have a Nooner fuselage that is as yet unbuilt.  I would like to build it with a V tail.

Are there any experience builders out there that would be willing to help me with the linkage set-up and mounting of a v-tail?

Thanks!

battlestu

I'm by no means an expert but i think i read that the angle needs to be around 110-120 deg.
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Polecat

110 deg. is correct. Mount the wing on the fuselage, put a incidence meter on the wing and set the wing incidence at 0 deg.
You will have to cut out some of the fuselage to mount the v-tail in at 0 deg incidence using a line level. The level sits on the v-tail where the two half are glued together. CTC sell the line levels if you don't have one.
All Quickie 500 pylon racers are set up this way.
Hope this helps.

Frank v B

I knew Ken would have the tech answer.  Great to have you around.  No need to re-invent the wheel.  It is still round!! ;D

Frank

ps: fighting jet lag at 3:45 am in Rotterdam.
"Never trade luck for skill"

sihinch

Thanks everyone.  It's the control linkages that I'm really looking for help on....

Polecat

Quote from: sihinch on May 20, 2014, 10:06:55 PM
Thanks everyone.  It's the control linkages that I'm really looking for help on....

Make your elevator push rod into a "Y". Use a piece of spruce, dowel or carbon rod and attach the threaded rods on one end, glue with epoxy and wrap with thread. Also put a second thin coat of epoxy on.
Attach the rod to the servo the same way.
You can run your push rods out on the top or the sides of the fuselage to the elevator horns.
Can send a photo if needed.

sihinch

Thanks Ken. I was hoping I may be able to "split" one control rod.

sihinch

Found these cool looking things - thought I'd try them (for a V tail Nooner!)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2164615