Warwing Kits - Pick-up Wednesday Evening at Build Class

Started by bweaver, September 26, 2019, 09:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gil.E

I'll take one.  Please deliver to my 2019 field representative: Carlos.

Given how real life stole my hobby time this summer, it's most likely Carlos will also have to build it for me and act as my Proxy Pilot  :(

bweaver

msatin

Thanks Bruce.

I had a look at the servos, and not all seem to come with a servo horn
I believe we will also need control horns, and push rods.
If anyone would like to consolidate into 1 order and save on shipping, let me know
You never fail until you stop trying

bweaver

The deadline of October 31st has passed. 

Only 16 kits will be made this year.   I plan on having the kits available for the November building meeting.

ONLY 2 KITS REMAIN AVAILABLE.  :) :) :) :) :) 

bweaver

@msatin and others

The warwing kit comes with the following:

- three 1/2 inch blue foam board fuselage and wing pieces (cut and ready for gluing together)
- the wing is prefabricated (one piece) and reinforced with fibreglass tape as necessary
- elevons are pre-installed with double sided medical taped hinges
- a 2 inch by 2 inch 1/8 quality plywood motor mount
- sufficient velcro for securing your battery to the aircraft
- plywood pieces for servo screw mounts (should you desire this method of securing servos)
- control horns for elevons
- zip ties for securing your ESC and combat ribbon
- fuselage reinforcing plywood (Moroccan quality only)
- 4 pieces of triangular stock for firewall mounting/securing to aircraft  (Moroccan quality only)

To complete the Warwing you will require:
•   5 minute or 15-minute epoxy,  (if 15 minute epoxy is selected, you need more patience) – paraphernalia for mixing and applying epoxy (waxed paper or something similar to prevent glue getting on tables)
•  hobby knife for fine trimming of foam
•   electric motor and ESC, mounting screws, nuts and bolts, blind nuts – your choice,
(examples of electric motor include - Rimfire .10, Turnigy G10, alternatively any brushless motor and ESC from a foamy aircraft, such as a Parkzone, Eflite, Durafly, FMS, or similar 1100 to 1200 mm wingspan aircraft)
•   2 servos and mounting screws or alternatively glue the servos to the wing if preferred
•   2 pushrods and linkages for servo to elevon connections.
•   receiver and 2 sided tape for securing same
•   flight battery is necessary for finding balance point and battery placement (typically 3 cell 1800 to 2200 mah is used)
•   you also may require servo extensions.

The Banggood motor and esc costs and delivery fees a nominal.  Order from the Canadian option and you get a better price.

If you have any reliable servos, they will likely due.  If you wish to purchase inexpensive standard servos, pushrods, etc.  I would suggest you contact your local hobby shop. http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=HITHS311S&ref=similarprodside

Maybe someone has spare servos and pushrods they wish to give away?

msatin

Great Hobbies works for me.
I was planning on purchasing a Flite Test kit from them next week.
Thanks for the good advice Bruce

bweaver

The kits are now being made.  I went to Lowes yesterday and bought the 1/2 inch blue foam 2' X 8' boards.

Photo 1 - Nice new blue foooooooaaaaaaaam boards!

Photo 2 - Warwing templates taken out of storage and tools organized for the initial preparation of the kits, involving drawing pieces on foam boards and then cutting.

Photo 3 & 4 Using the templates I draw them out on the foam boards.  Note from experience the layout arrangement I use on the foam boards.  This arrangement gets the most kits with limited waste and minimizes the number of cuts necessary to make each piece.

Photo 5 - I use a steel level with a good 90 degree straight edge to make a good straight cut.  I periodically sharpen the knife blade with the stone.

Photo 6 - Major cuts completed for the main wings, wing front portions and top of fuselages. 

The fine cutting of the fuselage notches and corresponding wing notches will follow on another day.   That's it for the day...  ;)

msatin

WOW - Henry Ford was nothing compared to you Bruce.  ;D

Thanks for the update

bweaver

The project continues...

The elevons were cut out, shaped and installed with plastic medical tape on both sides of the hinged surfaces.

Fiberglass tape was applied to both sides of the wings to reduce flex and increase the performance.  ::) (Everyone knows this is BS because a warwings performance doesn't need improvement.)

The front portion of the wings were epoxied to the rear portion of the wings.  Wing alignment was achieved with technologically enhanced concrete bricks and a smart table.   Perfect, just perfect.

Fuselage notches have been meticulously cut out and will be precisely aligned with each wing's corresponding cut out notches for true fuselage/wing alignment purposes. (Anybody want to buy a bridge?)

Next steps:
- cut triangular motor mount stock,
- cut ply firewalls
- cut, shape and drill plywood control horns,
- cut plywood fuselage reinforcements
- cut unnecessary plywood servo attachment pieces (you can through them out if you don't use them or save them for some other project)
- cut lengths of valcro for battery attachment purposes
- zip ties (most essential component of a warwing.  These are used to attach the streamer to plane)
- bag and tag all loose pieces and prepare and include written instructions for those who desire or need them to complete their warwing.

The kits will be completed and available for pick and building at the Wednesday evening build session. 
For those who have ordered, bring your $10 and we can make a trade. (quid pro quo) 

Forgot to add the photo - Added

bweaver

@msatin , @Gil.E , @GuyOReilly , @VadimKirillov , @Martín P. @Gregor77 , @Crazyflyer , @Palkina

Just to let you know, your Warwing kits will be available for pick-up on Wednesday evening at the build class.

Let me know if you can't make it this Wednesday evening and I can hold onto them/it for pick-up at another time.

Palkina

Hi Bruce,

Thank you. I can pick Gil's and mine up on Wednesday.

VadimKirillov

Hi Bruce,
I wont be able to come this Wednesday, can you please save my order for next meeting.

GuyOReilly

Hello Bruce!
I will be there on Wednesday, money in hand!!!. ;D
Guy

GuyOReilly

@bweaver
Hello Bruce;
You mentioned that adding lamination increases resistance and durability.
I looked at Staples for the material:
1- It is expensive (IMHO).
2- Is there a better or cheaper source for this material?
3- It comes in 2 types: Flexible and Medium
a) Which one is preferable? 
b) Do you know if there a HARD version? 
c) Which version did you use? 
d) Should any paint be applied prior to the the lamination process or can it be done after?
4- You added holes to your model - any significant weight reduction?
Thank you for your assistance.
Guy