Savoia Marchetti S55X (round two a never ending story)

Started by bweaver, October 18, 2019, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

Michael, Rob(s), Frank, Billy, Guy, (just to list a few)

Your builds are/have put me to shame, but...

bweaver

What did I mean by that?

I have been in this hobby since being around 10 years old.  Since that time I have built balsa/tissue covered model aircraft, foam model aircraft, even a model aircraft built with a broomstick among other novel materials. 

All of these models have flown successfully, to a degree. (Success was often measured in flight durations of inches, feet and multiple flights occurring  before the aircraft's final demise or its retirement.) 

What was important to me, excited me, gave me pleasure, was the actual building of the model and the anticipation of the aircraft's maiden flight.

Some of the aircraft I had built and continue to build were/are ugly (many). I could live with their appearance, because I was looking forward to their flights (or attempts at flight). Many of the models when they were finished looked reasonable (beauty is in the eye of the beholder).  Many of the models when completed actually resembled the full size aircraft that I was trying to replicate.  Many looked like other full size aircraft that I wasn't trying to replicate. Their final appearance and flight outcomes didn't discourage me from starting another. I was happy with what I had accomplished. I tell others who look at my aircraft with a smirk that I was trying to build a 'stand way-off scale' model aircraft.

As I have matured with each build, I learned to savor the final outcome of each model, regardless of how it ended.

I admire the craftsmanship of those hobby enthusiast that can build beautiful scale aircraft like many you can see currently and in past posts within the forum. 

RC model aircraft hobbyist have different skill levels. Their skills are demonstrated in the aircraft they have built and correspondingly in the skills with which they can fly.

I treasure most of the memories of what I have built.  I enjoy sharing what I am doing while I am building.  Others in the club do as well. This is obviously demonstrated in the forum posts.  I construct my aircraft within my abilities. I don't envy the skills of others. With time, practice and through osmosis I hope that I may absorb some of their skills. Their skills inspire me. 

Share the hobby with others. That's what this club is for.  That is what it has achieved for years.  That is what I am sure it will continue to achieve in the future. 

Frank v B

Bruce:

re: your  "I treasure most of the memories of what I have built.  I enjoy sharing what I am doing while I am building.  Others in the club do as well. This is obviously demonstrated in the forum posts.  I construct my aircraft within my abilities. I don't envy the skills of others. With time, practice and through osmosis I hope that I may absorb some of their skills. Their skills inspire me."

Well said!

Ditto, Amen. 8)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

msatin

Bruce,

Your comments, like the build itself, are truly appreciated!
You never fail until you stop trying

GuyOReilly

@bweaver , you have put into words how I felt for many years.  I started building since the ripe age of 13.  Encouraged by my parents as a child to do something "constructive". No time left to cause or be in trouble.  I too have learnt a lot from club members and friends I made along the way.  I am most proud when a bunch of balsa and sticks and planks and other material come together and achieve the wonder of flight.  And I am always proud to say: "I MADE THAT FLY!". 
Thank you for inspirational words.
Looking forward to seeing you and all the members when we are allowed to come up for some fresh air.... soon...
Guy

bweaver

I had a chance to converse with Mr. @Andy Hoffer  yesterday. 

He was mentioning to me, about his concern involving the composure of my Forum photographs.  He believes I fail to focus on the subject and that there are too many things that otherwise distract the viewer from the subject. I told him, I disagree.

How are these Andy?

I know the one I prefer.

(By the way, the tail component is finished.)

Frank v B

Bruce

re:"I had a chance to converse with Mr. Andy Hoffer  yesterday.".

So he's picking on you now.  Consider it a badge of honour. ;D ;D  He's given up on me. 8)

Frank

bweaver

Balsa experiments can go in the green bin can't they?  ???

davidk

Or Recycling?  The Blue Bin

bweaver

Quote from: davidk on April 02, 2020, 10:25:30 AM
Re: Or Recycling?

The balsa originally came out of my balsa recycling bin/box.  Doesn't everyone have one?  I know Frank does...  ;D

Frank v B

re: Bruce's balsa scraps     "Doesn't everyone have one?  I know Frank does...  ;D"

Somebody said I had scrap balsa??

A photo of two complete drawers with balsa and plywood scraps.
I had a bank of 4 drawers custom made with 39" wide, 22" deep and 7" high drawers so that 36" balsa sheets and sticks could fit with room to spare. 
Then Rob D. wanted one too.

Frank

Frank v B

Bruce,
A comment on the canopy.

You had the grain running horizontally so when you got to the back end and pinned it together, the window frames would have split along the grain (across the middle of the window frames). 
It looked like a really good attempt.

Two options:
1) Do the window frame area out of 1/16 balsa with the grain vertical and then put two 1/16" sq hard balsa stringers from front to back (horizontal) on the inside, one at the top of the window and one at the bottom of the windows.
2) Cut the wood out the way you had it with horizontal grain but put 1/16 x 1/4" vertical braces on the inside between the windows from the below the roof line down to the deck.  This is to strengthen the cross grain between the windows (portholes?).

Regardless of which option chosen, dampen the wood around the window area before bending it.  I lay a wet blue shop towel on the balsa for 10 minutes and it will bend easily.

I kinda prefer option 1 because the window walls appear to twist towards the back end.

FWIIW

Frank

bweaver

@Frank v B , Frank, Frank, Frank, Frank,

It was obvious in my post that I was 'experimenting'... !

I wasn't looking for instructions one how to make a better one!   

I was only asking if it was OK to put my balsa experiment failures in the green bin?

[/b]
Having said that, I will go with Option 1.Thx

Frank v B

BRUCE, BRUCE, BRUCE, BRUCE:

It was obvious you knew but I was trying to help the rest of the membership through the options and why the original one broke.

I misinterpreted it as your attempt at take the membership through your recycling techniques. 
You throw the stuff away. I plant it and watch it grow! ;D ;)

Keep going.  I will get the clear Monokote ready.

Frank

ps: it was a very good first attempt. 8)

bweaver

At this time, after multiple attempts at constructing the new cockpit canopy, I finally have something that should pass the 50/50 test for the cockpit canopy detail. I have taken a liberal amount of artistic license in completing this. When the model is finished, viewers will be able to especially appreciate the scale like appearance of cockpit and canopy when viewing the model flying horizontally overhead (but not over the pits). 

@Frank v B , I'll take you up on the clear Monokote to cover it. 

For those interested in knowing what the actual aircraft's cockpit detail looks like, I have included two photos below depicting the actual cockpit area within the wing. 

To accommodate my building skills and desire to achieve a high degree of scale-like appearance, I'm not gonna even try to replicate it. 

To achieve my desired degree of scale, I might replicate the cockpit detail by colouring the cockpit area under the canopy 'black', because when looking into the cockpit area from outside,  it would naturally be dark in the cockpit. 

In order to enhance the scale like appearance a little bit, I might go so far as to install two pilot heads (maybe including shoulders too) in there, provided I can find the right size.  :-\