Savoia Marchetti S55X (round two a never ending story)

Started by bweaver, October 18, 2019, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bweaver

Ending the storey

I was looking back at some of my old forum posts and noticed that I hadn't provided details of the finished pylon, cockpit canopy and decals.  Here it is.

Pylon - The front motor cowling was cut/made from the bottom of a plastic vitamin bottle.  The sides of the enclosure are simply sheet aluminum cut from a beer can, with vent like perforations chiseled through the aluminum and the flaps bent up as desired.  The top of the enclosure is a blue foam base with more beer can sheeting with blue foam shaped motor stuff epoxied on top and painted with dollar store paints.  The exhausts are plastic tube cut to the desired lengths and shape and epoxied in place. To access and service the enclosed motors and electronics, I can simply remove a couple of screws and the front cowling and the top of the enclosure can be easily taken off.

Canopy - I gave up on constructing a detailed cockpit canopy and went with what else, ... a canopy shaped out of more blue foam. This was covered with black and silver adhesive MonoKote trim sheeting, with silver pin-striping used for framing the windows.  This method was suggested by Michael.  I am happy with the end result. Thanks Michael.

Decals - The decals were made using Avery clear adhesive labels.  Easy to do and inexpensive.

If when viewing the photo of the model you find it not looking that pretty or realistic, just move your viewing screen further away from you and its appearance improves significantly.  (At least I think so.)

I'm looking forward to this white water around us changing into open water.

Here endith the story.

Andy Hoffer

Hi @bweaver ,

A great story with a happy ending! 

But you've got to tell us what type of vitamins were used for the motor cowling (B100, C, D, E, ...)!!

Love the chiseled vents!

Andy

bweaver

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on February 27, 2021, 05:26:24 AM
Hi @bweaver ,

A great story with a happy ending! 

But you've got to tell us what type of vitamins were used for the motor cowling (B100, C, D, E, ...)!!

Love the chiseled vents!

Andy

@Andy Hoffer I can tell you what kind of beer can I used, but not the vitamins.  (The vitamins obviously weren't for memory enhancement...)