Looking for a Foam donor.

Started by Mike_Kilo, August 25, 2020, 07:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_Kilo

I have damaged the wing tip on my Parkzone Archer, ripping off the little bit that extends back to the trailing edge of the aileron. I could not find the missing piece after the crash.  I would like to make try and fashion a new tip, but don't have any suitable foam.

The plane is made from Horizons "Z-Foam".  I wondering if anyone has a trashed model made from z-foam or similar, and would be able could give me a chunk to make my repair. A piece roughly 3.50x0.75x0.50 inches should suffice.

Or perhaps someone could suggest another source of foam or different approach to repairing my wingtip.  Thanks guys!

Mike K.

Mike_Kilo

Here are some images representing the type of damage I have, and my plan to repair it.

I was thinking I would cut off the damaged tip nice a straight and clean, shape a new tip and glue it on, maybe laminating some ply or carbon in with the glue joint.

Mike_Kilo

Here is a photo of the actual damage.

msatin

I'm in the process of salvaging the electronics from my very badly damaged Timber.
You're welcome to the foam pieces  i don't end up saving if it can help
You never fail until you stop trying

Mike_Kilo

Please do save me a piece!

Mike K.

WilliamA

Hi Mark,               Can you save some pieces especially the nose area for me,and probably the thick parts of the wing ? I need to repair the nose and motor area  ( Photo ) of this Clipped Wing Cub. It only comes as a whole fuselage. Will appreciate very much.    William.

msatin

I am hoping to be at the field Fri afternoon, just not sure the timing
I will also be there a good portion of the day Sat.
If I don't see you, I will leave whatever is left in a garbage bag under the lost and found table on Sat.
However, please do NOT leave the bag there overnight, it will be very light and likely to be blown around

WilliamA

Thanks Mark.  Need one (actually 2 ) more things , that is providing you are throwing them in the garbage. I can use the Timber's landing gear springs, as a mod to strengthen the Clipped Wing Cub's. Again,  thanks.
William.

Mike_Kilo

I should be there Friday afternoon and likely Saturday as well. If I miss you at the field, I will ensure the bag of foam does not became a garbage tumbleweed.

Thanks again.

msatin

Gents - weather for Sun has improved so I will probably be at field early afternoon.
William the springs are intact

Mike_Kilo

@msatin

Unfortunately I am stuck at work all today (Sunday), so I probably will not see you at the field, BUT I am planning on coming up in the evening to try and maiden my new Night Radian. Hopefuly be there by 7 p.m.

If you are flying this today, please leave the foam and I will collect it this evening, and make sure William gets what he needs.

msatin

Weather permitting I will be at the field Wed evening, and almost certainly on Sat

Mike_Kilo

Working late today (Wed), but I will be at the field on Saturday.

WilliamA

Thank you so much, Mark .            William.