Warwing On my Own - Build Thread

Started by Mike_Kilo, September 30, 2020, 08:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_Kilo

Since joining the club earlier this year, I have seen a few different people flying these neat blue triangles around, and they looked like a lot of fun.  Reading the forum every now and then I figured out what they where and why so many people have one.  I know the good weather is on its way out, but I thought I'd take stab at making my own Warwing.

A bit of scouring the forums and google turned up warwingdelta.com, which is no longer an active website, but I was able to find the plans and assembly instructions hosted on a Florida flying club's website.

So I made the trek to Lowes, picked up some of the blue stuff, and got to work laying out the wings.  Since I have enough material, I am going to cut two full planes out, so I have a backup if I mess one up too badly.

By dinner time I had two wings and noses cut out.  The cuts were kind rough, but I'm not to worried if the whole thing shrinks a few millimetres from sanding.  I plan on radiusing all the edges anyway.

Things to work out for the next stages:

• What glue to use? I was thinking Gorilla Glue (the amber stuff) or 5 minute epoxy.  I may cut and glue a couple test pieces over night.
  • Should I sand the edges to be glued? They are the rough factory edges from the sides of the sheet.  My first thought is no, the rough surface will give the glue more to bite into. Just use some Glue with good gap filling. (Gorilla Glue expands/foams up nicely)
  • Motor mount.  To 3D print or to not 3D print? My past printed motor mounts didn't like much heat, but I'm not planning on over-propping this too much...  ;D
  • Servos, will cheap 9g servos cut it? I don't think so. Will think more on this.
  • Wing reinforcement.  Fibre tape or fibre tape and a spar? Carbon square tube, or strip, maybe an old arrow. Hmm.
  • To laminate or not to laminate? I have found some self adhesive vinyl at the dollar store, may try it out.  No iron required  :)
  • Paint. I feel like spray paint will eat the foam, and my airbrush would take forever to paint a model this big.  Guess I'm breaking out a roller. Will test a few paints.

Photos:
1 - 2x8 sheet of the blue stuff. Thankfully my Dad has a old half-ton Ford, so we were able to haul this super heavy cargo back in one piece.
2 - Printed plans to work from.
3 - Maths to figure out how to make the wing in two pieces (nose and main section).
4 - Making sure my math was right.
5 - Main sections drawn.
6 - The ol' level as a straight edge technique.
7 - My math was right!
8 - Two wings and noses done! Sitting next to my Flite Test F-22 plans that just got a coat of spray glue on the back. Focus is not my strong suit.
9 - Sparring with my thoughts. Sorry, couldn't think of a better (or worse, depending on your stance) pun. Thinking about spars.

msatin

In case you haven't seen them, there are several threads on buliding and covering warwings in the forums them Mike
http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6695.msg43997.html#msg43997
Maybe some ideas for you
You never fail until you stop trying

Mike_Kilo

Andy Hoffer

Hi @Mike_Kilo ,

What I want to know is how you intend to use that guitar fret on the nose of your Warwing (see photo #1)!   :D

Andy

msatin

interesting choice of words Andy.
Considering you chose "Nose" of the plane, and that a guitar uses a "pick"  ;D

Mike_Kilo

Actually @Andy Hoffer  I was gunna use the whole thing, not just the frets. ;D

Was thinking something like this:

Mike_Kilo

Wait, it's supposed to be a warwing... like this:

Andy Hoffer

Hey @Mike_Kilo ,

How about guitar strings trailing instead of crepe paper streamers.  Imagine the excitement when your attacker eats those!  :D

Andy

msatin

Now that would be something to fret about
Sorry - couldn't resist

Mike_Kilo

Here is another idea. Although I have some concerns about its flight-worthyness. Wind tunnel time must be booked.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: msatin on October 02, 2020, 12:19:14 AM
Now that would be something to fret about
Sorry - couldn't resist

hey @msatin,

Glad you didn't !!

Andy

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Mike_Kilo on October 02, 2020, 12:43:05 AM
Here is another idea. Although I have some concerns about its flight-worthyness. Wind tunnel time must be booked.

Hey @Mike_Kilo ,

Fabulous idea!  Just beef up the amp (say 30 lbs empty) with five 8S-4000 packs (about 2 lbs per pack) pushing 30 amps.  That will give you about 120 watts/lb, more than enough for a Warwing!  Unless it's @Frank v B 's, which will squawk at anything less than 200 watts/lb!

Definitely takes Air Guitar to new heights!  8)  (Can't wait to see what @msatin does with this one!!)

Andy

Mike_Kilo

I designed and 3D printed a simple sanding block for shaping a nice radius on the leading edges of my Warwing (or any other 1/2in. material).  Sandpaper is held on with 3M Super77 spray glue.

It works well, but it helps to do a bit of rough shaping first, otherwise it takes a while to remove all the material (using 220 grit for a nice finish, and to reduce tearout).

I could have made similar tool out of wood rather quickly, but 3D printing is good way to go if you want to experiment with more exotic shapes.  I am thinking of printing one with more of an airfoil shape, and maybe some to sand 45 and 90 degree bevels.

Andy Hoffer

Very cool @Mike_Kilo !

I just use a flat sander and rotate it around the edge as I sand and eyeball the leading edge profile.  Works fine, and is easier to load sandpaper.  And one less tool to clutter the bench!!

Why not 3d print a whole leading edge and glue it onto the flat edge of the foam!!!  ;D

Andy

Mike_Kilo

You're missing the point @Andy Hoffer.  It doesn't necessarily have to be practical, it just has justify to myself the cost of the printer!  ;D

Plus, my workbench primarily a home for my tools.  They begrudgingly share the space with my projects.

I do like the 3D printed leading edge idea! A new hybrid construction method!