Lockdown - projects to keep me busy ...

Started by Michael, January 22, 2021, 11:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Project 1

I bought a Twin Otter ARF and matching floats. It took me 2 weeks to put it together.

Michael

Michael

Project 2

I changed propellers on my Waterbomber (2018 build) from same-direction-rotation to counter-rotating 3-blades, because I was having difficulty taking off straight due to torque problems.

Michael

Michael

Project 3

Another previous built model airplane was difficult to fly. My Fournier is difficult to turn with only rudder, so I am adding ailerons.

Michael

Michael

I cut out where the ailerons will be.
I cut off covering material where needed.
I carefully cut holes in ribs for wiring.
I am planning servo bays.
I put in a piece of balsa to where the ailerons will be hinged.
I constructed ailerons.
Michael

GuyOReilly

Michael

Thanks, Guy.

Servos will simply be glued in with a dab of epoxy, after all the work is done.
Servo extensions exit at the center-upper-wing to reach the receiver in the fuselage.
Covering started.
Michael

pmackenzie

You should consider setting the ailerons up so that for landings they can both go up a fair bit.
That will really help with increasing the approach angle, without increasing speed ( glide path control)

Andy Hoffer

Great assortment of inspiring projects @Michael .

The Twin Otter is a particularly nice looking model.  Looking forward to some nice banked low and close photo passes on a beautiful sunny day like today!    8)

Cheers!

Andy! 

Michael

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on January 23, 2021, 10:55:04 AM
Great assortment of inspiring projects @Michael .

The Twin Otter is a particularly nice looking model.  Looking forward to some nice banked low and close photo passes on a beautiful sunny day like today!    8)

Cheers!

Andy!

It's too cold and windy to commit this plane to a maiden flight.
Michael

Michael

Quote from: pmackenzie on January 22, 2021, 11:34:28 PM
You should consider setting the ailerons up so that for landings they can both go up a fair bit.
That will really help with increasing the approach angle, without increasing speed ( glide path control)

The plane takes off, flies straight, and lands well. It's just that the small rudder is not very effective for turns. That's the only problem.
Michael

Michael

Ailerons covered, decorative trim applied, and hinged.

Michael

Michael

Linkages set up, servos glued in, rates adjusted, and ready for a warm and calm spring day.

Michael

Michael

Michael

Michael

My Balsa USA Northstar is (was) almost all white. Flying it from snow on a cloudy day would be very challenging, so based on my experience flying this winter, I've re-painted it in very visible colours. It's hand-painted with acrylic paints from tubes.

Now I'm waiting for a low wind, not too cold day!

Michael

sihinch