Frank's Dumas Bearcat RC conversion- 30" span- Covid build #6

Started by Frank v B, February 13, 2021, 10:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

When cleaning up after this build, I found two sheets of stickers.  Immediately applied them.

Photo  29 - the "this way forward, stupid" arrow on the wing
Photo  30 - the "this way up, stupid" arrow on the tail. The book in the background (right) is for Andy's background analysis of all posted photos.  Yes, you can borrow the book. :D
Photo  31 - the fuse stickers. 

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

GuyOReilly

Bearcat looks FANTASTIC!!
I too would like to borrow that book... Once @Andy Hoffer is done reading it.

Andy Hoffer

@Frank v B I am SO flattered that you chose to feature my first initial so prominently on the tail of your Bearcat (photo 3530).

Andy

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on March 14, 2021, 10:39:58 PM
When cleaning up after this build, I found two sheets of stickers.  Immediately applied them.

Photo  29 - the "this way forward, stupid" arrow on the wing
Photo  30 - the "this way up, stupid" arrow on the tail. The book in the background (right) is for Andy's background analysis of all posted photos.  Yes, you can borrow the book. :D
Photo  31 - the fuse stickers. 

Frank

Thanks for the book reference @Frank v B.  My kids were traumatized right from birth.  They found out that they had my DNA, and there was nothing they could do about it! The book is yours @GuyOReilly !! 8)

Andy

Frank v B

Took some quick photos of the stickered airplane.

Looks good.  Passes the 50/50 rule in spades.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Truly beautiful @Frank v B !  Anticipated maiden flight?  Portraits (I can provide some more expansive backdrop paper!) ?

Andy

Frank v B

Thank you Guy and Andy.

Anticipated maiden flight?  Yes.  It will fly, however short the flight may be. 
When?  When can't you make it to Rogo Field?   ;) ;)

Frank

GuyOReilly

Quote from: Frank v B on March 15, 2021, 08:44:19 PM
Thank you Guy and Andy.

Anticipated maiden flight?  Yes.  It will fly, however short the flight may be. 
When?  When can't you make it to Rogo Field?   ;) ;)

Frank

Hello @Frank v B ;
You picked a good day for the Maiden Flight, I will be in Montreal on Canada 🇨🇦 Day...
@Andy Hoffer please ensure you record that event for posterity and those of us unable to attend.
Guy

Frank v B

It flew today and was remarkably stable.  The retracts worked fine.  Took off on wheels but belly landed with gear up on purpose.  Unfortunately the battery was not charged so it ran out of fuel after about 30 seconds.

Andy took photos so he will post them later.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

A great show by @Frank v B 's Bearcat.  The best part was when it was chasing its tail! Frank's P-51 and V900 made special guest appearances.

With extensive coercion I was able to get Frank to provide a reasonable facsimile of a human being in the photos of him.

Way to go Frank!  ;D

Andy

Andy Hoffer

Guest appearance by @Frank v B 's V900 at the Bearcat Maiden Flight event.

BJROB

Wow fantastic flight.
Pictures were ok too.... just kidding great pictures.
And the P51 flying with a broken flap. Dragging in tha air.
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Frank v B

Flew it again today and the motor pulsed again after two circuits on a fully charged battery.
The ESC was hot.  I suspect it was an overload protection feature.  The ESC was an Electrifly 12 amps.
Will replace it with a 15 amp+ one.

The take-off was brisk.  The plane is fast and very controllable.  I may reduce the prop diameter by 1/2" or so.

A very nice plane.  The retracts are great but still belly-land it on the grass to avoid ripping them out.

Frank

Andy Hoffer

For the longest time I couldn't figure out how @Frank v B managed to get his mini-planes to do 200 mph with a Speed 400 (equivalent) on 3S.  Then I realized it's all in the special "wings" sauce he mixes with his 5-minute epoxy!  ;D

Andy