Multiplex 100" Flamingo glider (1980 vintage) Covid Build #7

Started by Frank v B, April 12, 2021, 08:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on April 18, 2021, 04:49:26 PM
attaching the wings.  "It just ain't fitting" from Gone with the Breezes.  See clip below.

Photo 1 shows the port side of the fuse after the adjustments. 
- Opened up the small hole at the front and made it into a slot so the servo plug could fit through.  It was similar in diameter as the one at the back.
- had to drill a second hole for the spoiler wire.  It missed by about 1/4"

Photo 2- the starboard servo wire has a Multiplex connector (Dean's).  Have to switch it to a JR/Spektrum compatible plug.  Have to make the holes fit as well.

Photo 3- spoiler in closed position.  Yes, it is blurry.

Photo 4- spoiler in open position. Also blurry.

Frank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIUlx9mMcXs

Whew!  Thank goodness.  I thought Wednesday's snowstorm had come early!

Thanks for the clarification @Frank v B.   8)

Andy

P.S. Great build thread.  You should get GRADISTRIBUTION to sponsor you!

Frank v B

Hinged the ailerons on both wings.  These wings are beautifully built.  Obechi over white Foam.

Photo 1- I put in four five* sets of hinges (CA hinges)
Photo 2- aileron closed.  No gap!  The hinges are glued after the covering is finished.
Photo 3- a photo of the spoiler opened.  Better than the previous photo... but not much better. :)

Frank

* I have registered for a remedial finger counting class. ;)
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on April 19, 2021, 11:02:58 PM
Hinged the ailerons on both wings.  These wings are beautifully built.  Obechi over white Foam.

Photo 1- I put in (4)  5* sets of hinges (CA hinges)
Photo 2- aileron closed.  No gap!  The hinges are glued after the covering is finished.
Photo 3- a photo of the spoiler opened.  Better than the previous photo... but not much better. :)

Frank

* I have registered for a remedial finger counting class. ;)

@Frank v B ,

This is a HUGE improvement.  All this time I had thought the holes in your spoiler were oval-shaped.  Now I see that they are actually round!  What a revelation!!  :D

Keep up the fantastic build-thread photography.

Andy

Frank v B

Problem solving

Problem: How to hook up the spoilers and still make the wings removable. 
There are 4 things that have to line up to attach each wing half  1) the main spar, 2) the aileron servo lead, 3) the spoiler wire 4) the rear registration pin. (see photo 1)

Each spoiler has firm piano wire to activate/retract it.  When the piano wire is pushed in the spoiler opens.  When pulled it closes.

This plane was designed when it was done with a single servo, a rotary wheel with the spoiler wires attached to opposite sides of the rotary wheel.  The real problem- how to attach the spoiler wire of the port wing which is set back farther into the fuse where you cannot reach with a screwdriver.

I have built one servo bearer and attached the servo for the starboard (right) wing.  Once that works, the other servo will be installed but it will be backwards so it reaches farther back.  (see Photo 2)

F.

Andy Hoffer

Hey @Frank v B ,

Clever use of the translucent fuselage as a diffuser to provide soft even lighting of the interior of the fuselage. 

Oh yes, nice spoiler linkage too.  :D

Andy

Frank v B

Spoiler servos in place.  Couldn't get the screws into the servos at the back so the balsa pieces lock it in place.

Note that the servos are not in the same direction, neither are the horns.  This is because the spoiler wires differ by about 1" (fore/aft) where they enter the fuse.  The servos are also crossed so the piano wire has room to bend slightly (port spoiler is activated by starboard servo).  The photo only has one wing/spoiler attached in the photo.

One problem remains: The servos move in the same direction.  I have ordered a servo reverser from John's Hobbies today so the servos will activate in opposite directions.

Frank

Note: the 3 screws/bolts in the rear are the screws to hold the wing halves together.  There is no joiner tube.

Frank v B

Building the hatch/canopy.

Photo 1 & 2: Made out of 3 pieces of balsa and 5 minute epoxy.  Did not shape any of it until the 5 minute epoxy dried.  It took less than 5 minutes to shape it with a sanding block.
Photo 3: two balsa registration pieces in place.  One at the front of the cockpit.  Held in place by masking tape inside the fuse.  Another one at the top of the back part of the canopy. You can see the drop of 5 minute epoxy on both balsa pieces.  Placed the canopy floor in place and taped it again until the glue dried.  The 5 minute epoxy was just to adhere it in place.  Once dry, I removed it and glued the everything together with thin CA.  The 5 minute epoxy was just placed in the centre so it would not squeeze out and glue the canopy floor in place permanently.

Frank

GuyOReilly

Does this mean a lot of inverted flying?!?

Frank v B

Guy: re: "Does this mean a lot of inverted flying?!?"

Only when eating. ;D

Canopy- there was no canopy with this kit.  I made a hatch out of balsa, covered it in black Monokote.

How to add the clear windscreen.

Attempt 1- I bought a 2 Litre bottle of Compliments Soda water from Sobey's.  These are the clearest plastic bottles.  Too small.  That's $1.29 I will never get back. ;)
Attempt 2- Cover it in clear Monokote.  Failed miserably.  No way to shrink it enough.
Attempt 3 - Make it out of  balsa strips and formers like a Guillow's kit.  Will start that tomorrow.

Frank

Frank v B

Canopy- back to square one.

The bottle trick was still the best option.
- filled in the front of the cockpit until the bottle cut-out fit.  Notice the fake instrument panel and the brace behind it in the first photo.
- covered the re-done front with curved (wet) 1/16" balsa and covered it in black Monokote.  Made the instrument panel bright red... just because.  :)
- attached the cut-out part of the bottle.  Notice how the shoulder of the bottle forms a beautiful curve at the back end of the hatch... just like a real glider.

.... and I didn't waste my $1.29 investment in the bottle after all. ;D ;D

Happy now. 

Frank

GuyOReilly

Andy Hoffer

Fabulous @Frank v B !  Especially the Dutch morse code pins in #3705.  :D

Andy

Michael

Michael

Frank v B

Thanks Guy, BJ, and Michael. 
Andy- 18 pins; 18 letters; 5 words. That should bother you all day.  8)

Michael, me being cheap requires ingenuity. ;) 
Sig canopies are now $6- $8 and require a trip to a hobby shop.

Frank

Frank v B

No posts but:
- covered both wings and ailerons
- covered the stabilizer

They are a very bright red.  Next- have to decide the colour of the fuselage/rudder.  This will have to be spray painted because of the fibreglass.

Frank