Volantex Phoenix 2400mm power glider- motor repair and nose job

Started by Frank v B, April 07, 2022, 09:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

A junior member had a problem with his 2400 power glider.  It has a 4023 1050 motor in it on 3 cells and a 40 amp esc.  It was given to me in pieces.

Problem:
- the motor did not work
- the nose ring had ripped out so the motor could not be fastened.

Approach:
- fix the motor- two wires had shorted out.  I guess it rubbed against the motor's bell (out runner).  Stripped the remaining wiring covering off, soldered the wires together (about 1/3 of the wires had broken) and slipped heat shrink tubing over the entire motor wire, heat shrunk it in place.  Tested it and it worked.
- 40 amp ESC would not drive it.  When I used another ESC it worked fine.  ESC fried when the wires shorted.
- glued the nose ring in place with 5 minute epoxy to get it oriented properly.
- attached strips of fibreglass, one at a time to hold the nose together.

Photos:
- 85- nose ring in place (white) Strip of glass cloth in place.  Once it is dry, I will fold it over and glue it to the fuse.  Then repeat on the other side.
- 86- photo inside the fuse looking forward. The dull red and green wires are the new coated with heat shrink tubing.  The bright red wire was original.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

Done!

Photo 87- the new ESC.  It works!
Photo 88- the new nose.  Too bad the epoxy yellows when it cures.  The owner can look after the white stuff.  (way past the 50/50 rule ;) )

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"