e flite or hacker?

Started by iliyan2482, October 10, 2013, 05:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iliyan2482

Hi guys, i got a e flite power 15 motor for my 42 aj slick. im using a 1500mah 3s battery though. so i want to know if i'll get much flight time with a power 15 and only 1500mah. would the hacker a30 16m 28s motor be good to use with a 1500? with a hacker motor will the flight time be longer? or with an e flite power 15. thanks.

Iliyan

Ededge2002

Both the Power16 and the Hacker A30-16m are too large for the 42"slick. "More power" through extra weight on a well designed airframe will just spoil its flight characteristics.

The Park480 or the Hacker A30-28s are much better choices.  If Andrew Jesky flys it with a A30-28s why in the world wouldn't it be enough for you? lol
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Wingnutz

Ed,
I'm considering a Hacker for a model where it's the recommended motor but the specs of the HK equivalent are so close, it makes it hard to swallow the Hacker price. Is it likely to be worth the difference?(almost three times the as much)
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

iliyan2482

ill go with the park480 motor. thanks guys for ur help!

Ededge2002

I've seen some have good success with the HK motors. They are a good deal and some of the higher quality ones match the performance of the name brands very closely. What Hacker is it your looking at Bill?

pmackenzie

The Omega motors that 3DHS sells are very good, and not too expensive.
When they come up for sale in the classifieds on RCG they usually sell in minutes.

Keep it light, go with the 72 gram motor and 1500 Lipos.
(That is what I have in my 41" Edge).
If you go heavy it will be more of a sport aerobatic model.

Pat MacKenzie

Wingnutz

Quote from: Ededge2002 on October 10, 2013, 06:28:46 PM
I've seen some have good success with the HK motors. They are a good deal and some of the higher quality ones match the performance of the name brands very closely. What Hacker is it your looking at Bill?
This is the recommended Hacker and power set up...sport-aerobatic model
Motor: Hacker A50-14S
ESC: Hacker Master Basic 70 ESC SB
Battery: 4000-5S or
4500-5S Li-Po
Propeller: APC 16x8E or 16x10E

Ededge2002

I will look up the HK substitute tonight Bill. For what its worth I have the A50-16S in my SU29 on 6S and 16X10.

Wingnutz

imran13

We don't we rename the thread: "Motor Time with Ed McMann"?

You can even make your own show! ;D
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Ededge2002

Bill I looked at the motor in question and compared it to the specked motor.

https://www.aero-model.com/8_164_1988/Brushless-Motors_Hacker-Brushless-Motors-A50-V3-Series/A50-14S%20V3.html

The Motor you chose is 65g lighter and is 75rpm/volt higher.  There are three factors that I would consider.  "Power handling" is influenced by weight because of the mass to dissipate heat.  Higher rpm/volt numbers lead to "hotter" performance also.  Then there is CG influences. 

Looking at HK I found this model.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18125__Turnigy_Aerodrive_SK3_5055_430kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html

Its much closer to the values of the Hacker and I think would make a great substitute.  If others have other opinions please voice them as I would like to promote discussion on this. 

What do you think?  I have little experience with the HK motors what do the pro's say?

imran13

I don't know much about hacker motors. HK motors I've read good stuff about some. I think with them it's really flukey on quality. I ordered a park 450 from them and will tell you on performance once I fly with it. It'll be put into an E-Flite Extra 330SC BP 3D ARF
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Wingnutz

Quote from: Ededge2002 on October 12, 2013, 09:21:36 AM
Bill I looked at the motor in question and compared it to the specked motor.

https://www.aero-model.com/8_164_1988/Brushless-Motors_Hacker-Brushless-Motors-A50-V3-Series/A50-14S%20V3.html

The Motor you chose is 65g lighter and is 75rpm/volt higher.  There are three factors that I would consider.  "Power handling" is influenced by weight because of the mass to dissipate heat.  Higher rpm/volt numbers lead to "hotter" performance also.  Then there is CG influences. 

Looking at HK I found this model.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18125__Turnigy_Aerodrive_SK3_5055_430kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html

Its much closer to the values of the Hacker and I think would make a great substitute.  If others have other
opinions please voice them as I would like to promote discussion on this. 

What do you think?  I have little experience with the HK motors what do the pro's say?

I think I'm glad I asked...I read the Hacker web page incorrectly and used the KV rating for a A50-14S XS...Ed, thanks for making me go back and check before I ordered. The correct HK choice looks about an ounce heavier than the almost equivalent Hacker. Since the model I have is sport-aerobatic rather than 3D and will weigh around five pounds, I don't think the extra ounce will be significant. I will order the HK.