Annual Report from the President - 2013

Started by sihinch, December 05, 2013, 05:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

For those of you that don't know, in my day job I am a Continuous Improvement Manager, which means I deal with numbers, statistics and data.  As I look back on 2013 for TEMAC, I can't help but appreciate some of the statistics.  Before I get to that, I also want to draw another parallel with my work; we have a goal, or mission of 100% engagement and zero losses, which we refer to as "100 & 0".  For TEMAC it was a milestone year, our 10th birthday, but also a year of firsts (which I will come to.)  So the theme for my report this year is "TEMAC: 10 & 1."

10 years as an electric club is an awesome achievement and we're going from strength to strength.  Our membership is in excess of 120 members which makes us the largest club in our zone, we're financially healthy and we have an improving and developing field.  So what about our firsts....

It's the first full year that we've had many aspects of our club in place, but I'd like to start with our website.  We had over 1 million page views and 4.6 million hits this year – how about that!  We get an average of 13 post per day, and Ed McMann has spent 35 days of 2013 (so far) on the website – does he deserve another award or therapy?  I think our website is a form of therapy. It allows us all to stay connected and support one another 365 days a year, 24hrs a day.  The best bit – our busiest topic is "Anyone planning on flying tomorrow?" which means that none of us can wait to fly again, and we want to do it with friends and other members!  Ben Feist – thank you so much for giving us this gem.

It's also the first full year that Mike Hazelton has been our CFI, and the first year of our "Park Wings" program.  What a wonderful job Mike & his Instructors have done and what a great year for training it's been. We've had 20 students and successfully graduated 8 new MAAC pilots, and awarded 9 Park Wings.  I managed to attend and help with numerous Wednesday student nights, and they were always safe, fun & educational – with an open mind, you can always learn something.

What an amazing contribution Jack Higgins continues to make to our club.  He's brought so many firsts to TEMAC this year – the first season of pilot meetings, the first ever scratch build class and the first year of TEMAC pylon racing!  These activities have added so much breadth, given such dynamism and generated so much fun for our members.  Seeing the Norsemen come to life, each with their own individual livery was delightful to witness, and credit to their builders.  I'd like to recognize Frank Van Beurden for his enthusiasm for and commitment to the scratch build course. I'm sure the participants are especially grateful.  And what can I say about the TEMAC Piker class pylon racing that's not already been said?  Exciting, collaborative and fast, fast, fast.  Ed showed fabulous skill, but didn't have it all his own way – was it 4 or 5 race winners this year?  All I can say is "bring it on!" for 2014.  I'd like to acknowledge and thank ICARE-RC for supporting our group buy and making the series possible (with the Nooner kits.)

We continued our themed fun flies, and introduced a few new ones for the first time.  Thank you to everyone who came out to support them and show-off some amazing and beautiful models.  Some themes worked, and some didn't; maybe it was the weather (which seemed unusually windy) keeping people away, the frequency of events or the theme itself?  We'll continue to strive to bring you the events you want in 2014, but bigger and better!  I did enjoy all the BBQs and hot dogs we managed to have!

What else can you look forward to? We have our  TEMAC indoor fun fly arranged for the holiday season, which we intend to be the first of many.  Thank you to Michael Rogozinsky for arranging that.  I hope you all know about our planned Geo-tex runway (pending a Spring review of the Keswick runway's overwintering experience) which will allow everyone to enjoy the challenge of lining up and landing on a smaller, designated runway (if you wish) and taking off with smaller wheels (for all you jet fans and warbird enthusiasts.)  We also hope to continue our field improvements, with improved parking, a toilet (hopefully) and more tables for the pits.

So as 2013 draws to a close, I want to thank each and every one of you for participating and supporting our club.  The Board works hard to guide our club, and I am incredibly grateful for the efforts, commitment and support of every Board member and advisor.  I'd especially like to thank Greg Cadez for his enthusiasm and stewardship of administration this year.  In late summer, due to the demands of work & commitments outside of TEMAC, Greg handed the role of Vice President & Director of Administration to Bill Quantock.

TEMAC truly is a special club; and it's special because of each and every one of our members.  As I continue to be part of TEMAC, I realize more and more what a community it is, and how much we all give to one another.  Whether it's advice on a motor, emailing a photo of a model, the loan of a screwdriver, walking with a friend to search for a model in the beans, a laugh at a pilots meeting or true friendship at a time of crisis – we really are the club we are, because of each and every member.  So again, at the end of the 10th great year, with so many firsts – thank you all.

Simon

Ededge2002

I am going to reply to all the released annual reports under this one post (I'm trying to keep my post count down lol)

As self nominated first class pain in the a$$ I would like to congratulate the executive and all the members for a great year!

The only number our amazing leadership failed to count was flights!  There were literally a thousand flights or more at TEMAC this year under my estimations.  Despite repeated weekends of wind and foul weather the numbers kept turning out and getting flights in.  From the "Morning Crew"(that I dream to join) to the "Training Nights"(that at times were just Fun-Flys on Wednesdays) to the "Events Days"(all that I could attend were amazing) to just great days with friends the flights piled up!  To my knowledge there were NO SAFETY MISHAPS that were noted and no one stormed off the field in a huff nor needed to use our non existent time out bench!  Great job! 

Im going to add three photos from this season.

1)  From our annual Fun-Fly what a great group photo and I will say I'm proud to be a part of it.
2)  From the TEMAC Nooner Racing the final four!  My first experience racing and it was TERRIFIC!
3)  Proof that on even the worst of days you can go to TEMAC and enjoy some flights with another member.  I flew on my own for a number of years and joined TEMAC for the comradery that  I experienced there. 
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

bfeist

Andy I just put your great group photo from the funfly on the temac.ca homepage. Great shot.

Ben

thehaze

This pretty much sums up my feelings about temac..

The Hangover "Wolf Pack Speech"

you guys are my wolf pack...

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Papa

You have wwaayyy too much time on your hands.

LOL

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bfeist on December 06, 2013, 02:34:44 PM
Andy I just put your great group photo from the funfly on the temac.ca homepage. Great shot.

Ben

Thanks Ben.  It's the perfect shape for a banner photo!