Going Sailing- wish me luck

Started by Frank v B, July 31, 2014, 08:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

This coming weekend I am crewing on a J-105 (34') racing sailboat in the LYRA Regatta hosted by the Ashbridges Bay Yacht Club.  This will be my first sailboat race in about 20 years.  I hope it's like riding a bike.  I used to race a lot in high school and university and got involved in some major national and international races.  That came to an end when I started work. The boat owner is an orthopaedic surgeon and I crewed with him for the first time in 1968 when he was a medical student. He is now 72 years old... and North American champion in the class!  Wish me luck!

Anticipating some of the replies to this post, I suspect the following thoughts from my friends at TEMAC:

Andy: "If you're going to be hanged from the yardarm, take my GO-PRO.  I love the drama"

Jack: "Why go around a race course once in 3 hours when you can fly 10 laps in a Nooner in 1 minute 2 seconds, or in Frank's case- 1 minute 22"

Piker: "Join two of the boats together with inter-boat struts.  We'll call it a bi-boat."

Eric: "That thing has how much lead (3400 lbs)?   I only needed 15 pounds for my freighter"

Graham: "Glenn, we should have removed the ladder from the tree while Frank was still up there retrieving the Apprentice"

Dr. John (an experienced sailor)- At least if you are keel-hauled on a race boat, the leading edge is sharp.  None of this blunt force trauma of the old galleon days"

EdEdge: "Kinda think sneaking a 10 cell lipo on board with a 52mm water-cooled out-runner and a 2" prop should allow you to win the race."

Cadez:  "Yes! Quarter scale would make it 8 feet long and should fit in the VW bus.  She'll never know!"

Simon: "You're still right nuts, old chap"

Cliff:  "Oh lord I will have you to thank,
If you help my flying buddy Frank
He still has a lot to learn,
But before this weekend, teach him the difference between "bow" and "stern".

Michael: "That's it.  Jack, we need to add an IQ test to our TEMAC application form to keep guys like Frank out!"

Greg H: "There's got to be an "off" switch somewhere!"

Andy:  "Damn!, just found out a racing rule requires the boat to finish with the same number of crew as it started with.  There go half my wishes for Frank!"

Sorry Jack, I wasn't even painting today. :D

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

battlestu

You took the words right out of my mouth  :D

Have a great time and get some pictures
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

A boat? What's the point of that?

(Good luck!)

Ededge2002

I have an alternate response seeing as you predicted my "more power" one so easily.

"Have a good time with all the other semen!"
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Frank v B

First day results- 3rd place in a very close finish.  It really was like riding a bike.  Second race was cancelled due to lack of wind.  Back at it again tomorrow.

In the photo- middle is Dr. Jim Rathbun, right is Jim Flannery (Ex CS Yachts) a life-long friend from Vancouver whom I have known and sailed with since high school.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"