New runway 2021

Started by Michael, May 28, 2021, 09:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Hi all

If you've been to the field, I'm sure you've seen the new material for the runway has been delivered. This is a stronger and better fabric than the older one.

We have been informed by the installers that work on the field will commence on June 3rd or 4th, and is expected to be finished by June 7.

I will confirm this when I know exactly. Of course, we will have to temporarily suspend flying during the installation.

Michael

Andy Hoffer

Progress report as of 5:30 p.m., Thursday June 3 2021.

About 1/6 of the old runway surface has been removed; taxiways have not been removed yet.

Andy

Michael

Michael

deltawing

Thank you Michael and whom have arranged this new runway happen.  ;)
I'm so excited to see the new tarpaulin rolls in Rogo, just couldn't wait to take off from it.

I would like to start a discussion on how to keep this new runway to last longer than the last one. I believe everyone's opinion are important. So please have you voice and suggestions heard.

I observed that for the first couple of years our runway was in almost perfect condition. And I always saw Graham and fellow pilots busy taping the openings and maintaining the runway in top conditions for all of us to enjoy. A late big THANK YOU here.

For two years after the snow melted and the seasonal rains in April/May I visited Rogo for my first flight of the year, the ground on the field was very soft and absolute muddy everywhere.  I'm sure my walking on the runway will left my shoe prints on the bare mud under the black tarpaulin.  My shoe prints got harden after sunny days and became many hidden bumps right on the runway.  I'm also sure that no one want to do that on purpose, but 10 steps on the runway by 10 pilots will make 200 bumps. For two years I was one of those pilots too.
In the recent years, without naming pilots I witnessed at least three EDF jets were bounced up to airborne condition due to the bumpy runway.  Unfortunately the jet didn't has enough air speed yet, so it stalled & crash to the ground.   :( >:(

Perhaps we should consider some "no flying days" after the heavy rains days. May be some kind of runway guidelines will keep our new runway last much longer for all members to enjoy!

What is your suggestion?

Gregor77

Maybe we post some signs not to walk on the runway when the ground is soft?  Just a suggestion.

Michael

Posting signs is not a bad idea.

Also emailing the membership, and posting on the website.

Michael

Crazyflyer

Or maybe we mandate snow shoes after it rains!!  ;D
We can make a custom completely flat set that will also flatten the ground as we use it!!  8)

sihinch

Or put a plastic tape barrier around the runway in spring to try and keep people off it. Like a police incident scene.

Michael

Pragmatically, we can't enforce any of these rules.

I will ask the membership to be careful after wet or damp weather (signs, email and website).

The last runway lasted 7 years, the new one is thicker and more robust.
Michael

Michael

Work continues, and ready to 'roll'.

Michael

Forenplayer

Looks like they may finish earlier than expected

deltawing

Wow, just couldn't wait to take off from it.
Planning my flights again next Monday.

Michael, I think some sign and your email as reminder would help.
THANK YOU from all jet flyers.

Andy Hoffer

I think @Crazyflyer has the right idea.  Someone inevitably has a bad landing and has to retrieve the aircraft from the runway, or tape slashes from prop strikes.  So either load-spreading runway footwear as suggested by Stephan, or a long pole with a hook on it to allow retrieval without damaging the soil foundation under the runway surface.  Load-spreading footwear would allow access for surface repairs.

Andy

Oscar

Quote from: Forenplayer on June 04, 2021, 09:03:47 PM
Looks like they may finish earlier than expected

Fingercrossed.

BTW, Thank you Alex for finding us this company to do this job.  It is not easy.  Both Dave and I plus other members has tried in the past without much success.  Kudo to you.

deltawing

Guys, My point is the runway become so soft after heavy rainy days and it is not suitable to walk on.
I remembered that one year there was a big puddle on the north end. it was so big that I could have my RC boat on it. Since then I gave up flying right after rainy days.   

There are absolute no issue walking on the runway, but not when the soil under the black covering is very soft, that is after heavy rainy days.

IMO, Michael's proper signs and email/website are the better way for now.