BUSA SE5a, etc. Build

Started by piker, October 01, 2012, 11:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

It would be a quick "assembly", but I'm going to resist the tempation as I don't need it til the Spring and I'm rollin' on the SE5a.  But oh so tempting.  It's like getting a new toy at Christmas and having to wait until March Break to play with it   :)  Wait, it's like getting a new toy on November 7th and having to wait until a 1/4 scale biplane is finished before I can play with it.   Ya... something like that.

BTW, I also bought 5 metres of drab green covering last night and had to order another 5 metres.  Sheesh!  This building thing is expensive!  Got the 7" wheels too.  I need to order me some machine gun kits now...

Robert

Ededge2002

Sparrow Hawk looks AWESOME!  very nice looking real plane and a fine model! Who dosent think 30's racers are attractive.  Hopefully it flys as well as the Mew Gull as that was a favorite of mine.   
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

bfeist

Don't forget to put saw blades in the leading edge for that tree in Oakville.

piker

I just had a visit from Colin, who wanted to see what this building with sticks was all about.  Well, because he was over, I figured it was a good time to start on the fuselage of the SE5a, as the construction of the fin and rudder isn't very exciting.  I did manage to get the stab and elevator halves built up before he came over, so at least that's done.  They just need the hard points for the control horns added, and then sanding.

We didn't get far on the fuselage tonight, but it's a start, and I'm looking forward to getting it framed up.

Good times!

Robert

wollins

Cool visit as usual ... but besides the usual chit chit when I come over I acvtually learned a couple of things last night.  ;D

1.  This man Robert is a patient, patient man. (at least as far as "building" is concerned!  ;) )

2. Despite the fact that I don't think at this point in my life (with all the stuff I have going on NON RC related) I have the patience for a kit build, I AM very interested in "trying" one, but nothng as complicated as the stuff you guys are building.

Hmmm ... are there any CL 215/415 kits out there?  ;)  (seriously)

Colin 
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

piker

piker

So after I kicked Colin out the other evening, I was able to get some work done   ;D

I've run into a few errors in the kit that have required a second to figure out, but nothing that'll slow me down.  For example, I seem to be short on several stick stock pieces.  I've had to run to the LHS a couple of times to get replacements.  Then on Saturday, I was looking for an F5 former, as mentioned in the instructions and shown on the plans, but could not find the die-cut piece, or even a reference for one in the die-cut reference pages.  I did, however, have an F2a, which didn't seem to be mentioned anywhere, or shown on the plans.  And it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for in an F5.  So I've made the assumption that THAT's the piece I need.  I hope I'm right  :)

Anyway.  Things are moving along well and I'm enjoying the build.  Especially now that the fun part, the fuselage, is well underway.

Robert

wollins

Quote from: piker on November 10, 2012, 08:30:00 PM
Here ya go:

https://mraerodesign.securicom.ca/en/products/info.cfm?ProduitID=1

Robert

Yeah that one just seems too heavy ... kind of like the Albatross I was looking at originally. remember?) I'm looking for something more along the lines of your 215.  I found the the "plans" (Steve Gray?) and considered buying them but since I've never even build a kit yet I'm thinking building one from plans (without the bits) might be a more more of a challenge than I'm willing to take on right now!

I posted the following over at RC Groups and will do the same over at RCCanada ... anyone here is welcome to chime in cause I'm serious about this now ... I've put of building for far too long! :)

Colin

Flying boat kits    Are there any traditional (balsa ply etc) flying boat kits available? Was originally looking for a CL-215 or 415 kit (which I can't even find) but would love to see all that's available ... all I seem to be able to find are plans! Help anyone?

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

piker

I just ordered these plans a few days ago:   ;D

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/16452/rsq1731--vickers-supermarine-stranraer

Probably next year's building project.

Way cool!  :)

Kits for scale flying boats are pretty rare.  There are a few non-scale kits available, like the Sig Sealane:

http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC85.html

Robert

piker

Still moving ahead on the SE5a!

Big step type progess slowed down a bit over the weekend as I needed to do some detailing work.  The SE5a has a large wall of a cowl that looks horrible aerodynamically, but was used as an engine cooling system with adjustable shutters to control airflow to the engine.  This is a pretty cool detail for the scale model, so I was interested in working on it.  It took some time as the individual slats had to be cut accurately to length (I created a mini mitre box), then they had to be glued, at the correct spacing and angle, to the fuselage front plate.  This whole front plate is removable for motor access.  See pictures below.

Another cool feature of this particular model is that, not only does the whole front plate remove for access, but so does the lower engine compartment cover and the whole top section of the engine area (essentialy the top of the dummy engine).  This is awesome because it makes mounting the motor REALLY easy and I'll have tons of access for mounting the batteries without having to remove the wings or flip the plane over.  In other works, the battery hatch is aleady designed into this gas model design.  Saweet!

So after I finished the shutter detail, I moved onto the next boring "must do".  The mounting of the motor.  The plan called for a massive sliding box that slots through the formers back further in the fuselage.  This places the motor mount at the upper engine position that was used for the geared motor (full size) version of the plane (the version that used a four bladed prop).  But I want to model the lower thrustline version of the plane so the kit position is useless to me, plus it filled up the space that can be used for battery mounting.  So I threw out their approach for mounting the engine, and created my own firewall that will mount quite forwad in the engine campartment, leaving tons of room for everything else.  So easy.

Anyway.  Lot's of fun.  Now I can get onto the upper part of the fuselage.  The part where the charater of the plane comes together.

Robert

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

Quote from: piker on November 08, 2012, 11:00:02 AM
I'm WEAK, I tell ya!   :o

........my thoughts turned to the Seagull Sparrow Hawk.  I resisted buying it for the summer as I had other planes to focus on, but last night, with cash in hand, I couldn't resist any longer.  I took a look inside the box and was hooked right away.

Robert

I'm sure I already know this, but did you get the big one, or the little one?

S

piker

I got the "little" one.  The 70" span, 950sq.in. area, 10-11 lbs, Eflite 160 on 10 cells (same power system as my Mew Gull and what the SE5a will have.

Edit.  I see that they also have a smaller one.... a 63" version (yellow).  Mine is the larger red one, but not the largest 85" one.

Now I see they have this... Ugh!:

http://www.seagullmodels.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=129

Robert

sihinch

I wondered if it was the 35" version!!!

I might get the Grob Tutor. That's on my fantasy plane list!

Sorry to go off the SE5 topic.  The build looks amazing.

piker

There's a 35" one too?  Sheesh!  I can't keep up.

The Tutor looks cool too.  I like the wheel pants on the trike gear.

Robert