1-2013 TRN

Started by Papa, January 06, 2013, 09:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

#1-2013 TRN
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Frank v B

The Nooner is a remarkable airplane.  It is fast, not twitchy at all and grooves around the turn.  I have flown one for 10 years and just completed a second one which I bought at the London Swap meet.  I have a 250 watt inrunner (Eflite series 6 2700 kv) in mine using a 5x5 APC prop on 3 cells 1600's and two HS 55 servos.  Unlimited vertical. 

Make sure you wrap fibreglass around the centre section of the wing.  I used 5 minute epoxy.  It was originally designed for a 100 watt power system.  The wings are balsa covered white foam.  There is no spar of any kind.

On the one I just completed I added a carbon veil strip about 3/4" wide out about 3/4 span on the bottom of the wing.  Then added a 3/4 ounce cloth strip about 2/3 span on the top of the wing and a 3" wide wrap around the centre section.

My first one just had a 3" wide wrap of 3/4 ounce cloth all the way around the centre section and it has held up fine.

Will bring them to the next pilot's meeting.

Frank van Beurden
"Never trade luck for skill"

Ededge2002

This looks great. If anyone will be ordering an airframe let me know as I plan on ordering in the next couple weeks.
Will possibly do a build thread if there is any interest.
Is there a date set for team selections?  Possibly it should be a requirement to have at least a recept of ordering to enter the process. There were a LOT that chose numbers in the other serried that never attended a single race.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

I spoke (on email) with the supplier and he said there may be a group discount available. 

I suggest we organize amongst ourselves how many people are interested in ordering and then contact them again.

Thoughts?

I'm so excited about this racing. Hope you are too

battlestu

Game on!

Sign me up for a ready to cover kit
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Papa

Just put your name down in this thread and we will organize a group buy.
There are two versions an Almost Ready to Fly and Almost Ready to Cover.
The ARF is listed at $115.00 US and the ARC at $89.00 US.

Regarding choosing Teams, I think we will wait until we see the level of
interest. Probably have a meeting at 3 Monkeys for all serious racers.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

piker

I think this will be a great racing series (not sure about the name though  :))

Simon, Jack, and consultants have put together a great plan that I think covers all bases and will fix up some of the flaws with the Formosa racing series... such as:

I very much liked the concepts of using the Formosa as a simple, good looking, racing plane, but I've always felt that the airframe was not up to the task given the open rules for power systems.  I said, right at the beginning, that having a power limit NOT defined would allow the competitors to push the rules as far as they (we) could producing too much variation at first, which would then result in pushing the airframe too much or discouraging the casual participants.  A race series needs well defined rules to help the casual racers to be competitive right off the start.  I believe the guys have solved that.

The later variation (EPS vs. EPO) in the "Stock" Formosa airframe then lead to another problem that wasn't managed.  It's actually better the have a none stock airframe (eventually perhaps) controlled with simple but effective rules that level the playing field, then to have a "stock" airframe with variation beyond the racers control.

The formosa was very flexible and, in my opinion, didn't track well enough to be a reliable and safe racer at the speeds we were flying.  With a well designed racing airframe, the racing actually becomes easier and safer because the plane tracks well and can be trusted when flying around the course.  The racing become more professional looking too.

The lack of a pylon location reference for the pilots also made for sloppy racing.  I was always against having the pilots standing at mid point of the course (Formosa racing) with no reference for the pilots (like flagmen, etc.)  This also made for complicated judging of the turn cuts and uncertainty of the race results.  I think the guys are working on a good system for this.

Having the racing series remain at a local club level will also encourage participation and make the series fair for everyone (not everyone travels to all the fun flies around southern Ontario to participate in Formosa racing), 

I think this racing series will work better as an entry level to EF1 racing for people interested in that series, but feel they need a little more practice under their belt.

The Nooner airframe be a fantastic little plane that will be a joy to race and own for sport flying.  I'm sure you guys can handle it   :)

Count me in for a group buy Nooner!  I'm interested in a ready to cover

Robert

Papa

Thank you Rob. ARC noted.

Name is perfect, makes us sound legitimate!

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Ededge2002

I too will be going with an ARC version.  Can't wait to get started on this!  I have been waiting for the official announcement.
I'm also very excited about the team selections its going to add a bunch of laughs to the events with the suspected participants!  I already feel bad for whoever is saddled with me as a teammate LOL..
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Papa

That's the fun element. We want to emphasize the fun nature of the series.
We want to encourage all to participate.
Speed will not necessarily win all the time.
Consistency and precision will ensure success.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

sihinch

Oh, if it's consistency and precision, I'm fine, because I suck at flying fast!  ;D

For example, last year, I managed to crash 3 times in the same place, due to the same dumb-thumbs over-correction. That's consistency!  ;)

S

wollins

I'm in for one "ready to cover". Can't miss out on this fun!  ;)

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

eric

I'd like to join in but have a problem. I'm gone for most of the summer so am not around much when the racing is in full swing. Is it possible to be assigned to a team without becoming a liability to them because I can't show up regularly?

If yes, put me down for a "ready to cover". This sounds great!

Eric

fprieto

Hey... great idea....
I would like to join too....

Papa

Noted, Fabiano. Do you want to participate in a group buy.
Almost Ready to Cover (ARC) or Almost Ready to Fly (ARF)?

Jack.
A motto to live by: