14" span Pitts biplane- go big or go home!! Frank's Covid build #5

Started by Frank v B, February 02, 2021, 09:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Just came back to the world of the living!!!

My life sure went south at the end of Saturday's Temac video Board Meeting at 2pm.  Locked myself in a spare bedroom from Saturday afternoon until noon today.  At noon got the Covid test back- negative.  Couldn't take any chances.  No access to my workshop, a tv or a computer.  As Andy would call it "Heavenly silence".

It may have been a bug, or even a chance of a mini concussion since I slipped on ice and hit my head last Thursday.

Whatever it was, it is over and done with.  Back to the workshop tonight after picking up some business loose ends this afternoon.

I will answer Guy's colour question later.  It will be red.  At 50/50 you can't see it! The entire plane that is. ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

GuyOReilly

@Frank v B sorry to hear about your misfortune, still glad to hear you are negative.
But please remain positive as there are great things to look forward to, such as a Maiden Flight.  ;D
Also, how will you know if it is upside down f the colour is the same all over?   ???

Frank v B

Guy,

Thanks.

re: your comment "how will you know if it is upside down (i)f the colour is the same all over? "

Basic airplane design helps people like me.  The fin and rudder point up and is a polite way of the plane saying "this way up, stupid".  Form follows function. :D

Done today:
- installed the motor.  Andy, notice the sharpness of the writing on the motor.  Just for you.
- made the cowl so the motor fits in the middle of the opening in the cowl
- formed the landing gear (see photo) and installed the landing gear mount inside the fuse.

Frank

GuyOReilly

@Frank v B Now I get it, that is why they have the arrow pointing up on some planes... ;D

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 09, 2021, 06:23:18 PM
Guy,

Thanks.

re: your comment "how will you know if it is upside down (i)f the colour is the same all over? "

Basic airplane design helps people like me.  The fin and rudder point up and is a polite way of the plane saying "this way up, stupid".  Form follows function. :D

Done today:
- installed the motor. Andy, notice the sharpness of the writing on the motor.  Just for you.
- made the cowl so the motor fits in the middle of the opening in the cowl
- formed the landing gear (see photo) and installed the landing gear mount inside the fuse.

Frank

Hi @Frank v B ,

Excellent photography sir.  I did indeed notice the tack sharp writing on the motor:  "Waarschuwing! Niet voor gebruik door Nederlanders!"

E-flite has clearly thought of everything!   ;D

Frank v B

Last thing before painting:  cutting and hinging the ailerons (bottom wing only).

F.

Frank v B

Not painting yet* so here are some tricks for the fiddly bits:

1) Could not find small light wheels so made them out of indoor plastic wheels.  Photo 31 shows the wheel on the left; glued it onto scrap 1/32"; sanded and finished one on the right.  Will paint it black .

2) Getting the axle ready.  Commercial wheel collars are too big.  Tied about three wraps of dental floss on the axle and added the smallest washer I could find and added a drop of glue.  When the wheel is installed I will add another washer and then a few more wraps of dental floss and another drop of glue.  If the landing gear were larger diameter wire I would have used brass servo grommet liner as a bushing.

3) Control horns- cut them with scissors from 1/32" plywood and then used a pin to make the hole.  The wire is the same diameter as the pin.  Photo 33 shows the aileron horns at6 the top.  Pushed the pin through both of them at once so they are carbon copy.  The other two are for the elevator (smaller) and rudder (larger).

Accurate control rod installation.  It is always tough to find neutral on small planes to get pushrods the proper length.  Here is a 100% accurate installation method:
i) cut a slot in the control surface so the plywood horn can be pushed into the slot.
ii) slip the plywood horn into the slot and cut the control rods to length.
iii) Tape the control surface in the neutral position (both ailerons, rudder, elevator), center the servos, attach the rods to the servo arm and the plywood horn, slip the horn into the slot and add one drop of CA (medium is best).  Guaranteed all surfaces will be perfectly neutral.

The best part- the plywood horn and the glue are always across the grain and significantly strengthens the wood.

Frank

* No access to the part of the house I can use spray paint.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 10, 2021, 07:22:17 PM

1) Could not find small light wheels so made them out of indoor plastic wheels.  Photo 31 shows the wheel on the left; glued it onto scrap 1/32"; sanded and finished one on the right.  Will paint it black .

2) Getting the axle ready.  Commercial wheel collars are too big.  Tied about three wraps of dental floss on the axle and added the smallest washer I could find and added a drop of glue.  When the wheel is installed I will add another washer and then a few more wraps of dental floss and another drop of glue.  If the landing hear were larger diameter wire.

3) Control horns- cut them with scissors from 1/32" plywood and then used a pin to make the hole.  The wire is the same diameter as the pin.  Photo 33 shows the aileron horns at6 the top.  Pushed the pin through both of them at once so they are carbon copy.  The other two are for the elevator (smaller) and rudder (larger).

Accurate control rod installation.  It is always tough to find neutral on small planes to get pushrods the proper length.  Here is a 100% accurate installation method:
i) cut a slot in the control surface so the plywood horn can be pushed into the slot.
ii) slip the plywood horn into the slot and cut the control rods to length.
iii) Tape the control surface in the neutral position (both ailerons, rudder, elevator), center the servos, attach the rods to the servo arm and the plywood horn, slip the horn into the slot and add one drop of CA (medium is best).  Guaranteed all surfaces will be perfectly neutral.

The best part- the plywood horn and the glue are always across the grain and significantly strengthens the wood.

Frank

* No access to the part of the house I can use spray paint.

Hey @frank,

Where did you get that giant size dental floss?  That looks like something you would use on a mastadon!  8)

Andy

Frank v B

Frank v B

First coat of spray paint- 5 minutes.
Second coat will be tomorrow morning.

Just held it in in my gloved hand and sprayed it outside my front door. 
Good thing my car is already red.  It was downwind. ;)

Frank

ps: the two red triangles are the landing gear legs.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 11, 2021, 09:23:31 PM
First coat of spray paint- 5 minutes.
Second coat will be tomorrow morning.

Just held it in in my gloved hand and sprayed it outside my front door. 
Good thing my car is already red.  It was downwind. ;)

Frank

ps: the two red triangles are the landing legs.

Hey @Frank v B ,

What colour is Cynthia's car now?!!   8)

Andy

Michael

Michael

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 10, 2021, 07:22:17 PM

In @Frank v B 's next episode, Micro Off-Road and Edible Wheels for the Pitts!

GuyOReilly

For better traction in the snow, you may wan to consider the following wheel type, @Frank v B .

Frank v B

Spray painted the wheels black and five toothpicks red for the cabane struts (fuselage wing mount).  Photo 36.

Setting the top wing. Photo 37.
step 1- glue the top wing onto the two interplane struts (5 min epoxy).  View wing from the top to make alignment with bottom wing.
step 2- Cabane struts.  Install one at the back by poking the painted toothpick through the wing and fuse.  Glue with two drops of CA.
Step 3- install the second toothpick in the back and glue.
Step 4- install one of the front toothpicks put pull the leading edge of the wing down about 2 degrees (visual).  two drops of glue.
Step 5- install the second front toothpick and glue.  This is your final chance to adjust the squareness and angle of attack of the upper wing.
Step 6- clip excess toothpicks at the top wing with side cutters.

Now final assembly (radio, pushrods, etc.)

Frank