How to do a film hinge.

Started by Frank v B, April 30, 2020, 09:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

I was asked to explain how to do a film hinge. 

When to use: on planes Speed 400 or smaller and when the surface to be hinged is less than 1/8"

Example- I mocked up a stabilizer/elevator and photographed the steps. Note that the elevator has an angle sanded into it to allow for full "down" elevator. See photo 99.

Per normal:
- cut two pieces of film that easily cover both parts.  One for the top and one for the bottom.
- cover the bottom first, the top last.

Step 1- Cover the bottom of the stabilizer in its entirety.  Turn the corner onto the trailing edge but no further.  The covering for the elevator should be sticking up. Photo 00
Step 2- lay the elevator upside down onto the top of the stabilizer.  The best way to describe it- what would 180 degree "up" elevator look like.  Make sure the edge of the elevator is flush with the covering sticking up. See photo 02.   Fold the covering over the elevator and hold it tight.  Heat seal it in its entirety while it is in this position.
Step 3- Finish all the edges, trim the excess.  See photos 03 and 04
Step 4- apply the top covering over the stab until you reach the hinge line.  See photo 05
Step 5- hold the elevator in the full "down" position and cover the entire elevator.... while holding full "down" elevator.  See photo 06.
Step 6- run the heat iron over the entire hinge line, top and bottom.  This seals the top to the bottom film and creates the hinge. See photo 07 and 08

Photo 09- top view of the finished stab/elevator
Photo 10- 90 degree "up" elevator.

Please check out the photographs.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

Michael

BJROB

Very nice. You make it look so easy.
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!