Ooch, ouch, ooch- today's 5 minute epoxy accident.

Started by Frank v B, February 07, 2022, 08:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Try not to laugh.  It hurt!

Was fixing a front panel to a Jaccuzzi tub at noon today. 
I mixed 5 minute epoxy to glue wood blocks to the back of the fibreglass opening so the panel could be screwed in place.  The wood blocks would hold the screws to secure the panel.  The plan was to mix 5 minute epoxy, put PL Premium (construction adhesive) on the blocks and use the 5 minute epoxy to hold them in place until PL Premium cured (overnight).  I leaned forward to secure the first block and realized I leaned into the epoxy.  Had to finish it.

The race was on to scrape the unused epoxy from my shirt and went about my way.  Did not realize the epoxy went all the way through my shirt and into my chest hair and skin...and hardened. 
Now the race was on to free my shirt.... the glue was still gummy.  Got it separated and glued paper towel onto the inside of shirt so the glue on my body would not snag the shirt.

Got home, took a 15 minute shower just before dinner to soak the glue and pull it off bit by bit.  It hurt! 80% of the glue is gone.  The last 20% later on tonight.
Did not have to use the scissors.

I was determined to get the glue off without cutting my chest hair so Andy couldn't send me Hair Club for Men ads, Wig ads and two-for-one hair implant coupons (chest and head).

A photo of the shirt. I didn't want to gross you out by sending a photo of the affected area. ;D

He who has never had an accident can have the first laugh. 8)

Frank

ps: my wife was only worried about the ruined shirt.  Go figure.

"Never trade luck for skill"

sihinch

Come on Frank, just admit it. You're a "manscaped" Guy, right! Always have been! 😂

msatin

Anybody see the 40yr Old Virgin?
I couldn't bring myself to post the You Tube link (too much foul language) :)

You never fail until you stop trying

GuyOReilly

@Frank v B  such repais should only be completed in summer-time, as we say in French "en bédaine", so as not to ruin a perfectly good shirt. 
BTW, is the afflicted area displaying a perfect square too?

octagon

What could possibly go wrong?

Frank v B

Guy,

re: "is the afflicted area displaying a perfect square too?

Are you calling me a square?? ;)

F.

ps, Rob,  The Mrs Brown clip is priceless
"Never trade luck for skill"

msatin

You never fail until you stop trying

Andy Hoffer

I see a bottle of rubbing alcohol (a great epoxy thinner/remover) in @Frank v B 's future!

Bravo Frank!!

Andy