Alien Aircraft Funmaster to a Twinmaster

Started by Michael, December 17, 2021, 12:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

In the mood to build something new....

I have all kinds of motors and speed controls from models I crashed this last year, and wanted to build something using some of those parts.

One of the models I crashed was my scratch-built Avro York, which used 4 motors and speed controls. It was fun to fly, and I especially enjoyed the sound of 4 motors flying the plane. I did not want to build something from scratch again. so, I looked for a model to build of similar dimensions. I decided on the Alien Aircraft Funmaster. I've already built 2 models from this manufacturer, and they both went together well, and flew very well.

I bought the model. I thought I could build it lighter than advertised, but when examining the amount of plywood in this kit, I realized that there was no way I could get the down to 4 pounds from the advertised 6 to 7 pounds. I had on hand a set of 2 motors and speed controls (in good condition) from my Flightline OV-10 bronco which I destroyed by flying it into the trees at the south end of our field. Since this model weighed 6½ pounds, they would be ideal for the Funmaster. My Funmaster is now intended to become a Twinmaster!

So far, I built the tail parts and have started on the fuselage. I will basically build this model as intended, but will leave the nose without a motor, and build 2 nacelles which will be attached to the wings, which is where the motors will be mounted.

Michael

sihinch

Frank v B

Good.... a build thread.

Frank

ps: any stats on the power system?
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

Power system: 2x 4S Brushless 3530-860Kv on 60 amp esc's.

Michael

sihinch

Frank v B

Michael,

re: "Power system: 2x 4S Brushless 3530-860Kv on 60 amp esc's."

A trainer-type with twin motors and unlimited vertical.  Works for me. :D  Go Michael. 8)

"Always overpower a model airplane.  You can always throttle back....... if you have to"  ;D

Frank

Gregor77

Michael

Michael

Gregor77

very sad to hear that, it was a magnificent model.  Any chance to rebuild?

Michael

Maybe a complete rebuild in the coming months.
Michael

Michael

Some progress.

Fuselage basic construction is done. The only modification I made so far was that I did not make mounting holes and install blind-nuts for mounting a motor up front. (Two motors will be mounted on the wings.)

I started work on the wings, and I encountered one serious problem with the kit, which so far, has been excellent. Several ribs were missing. I cut new ones from scratch, and building continues.

Michael

Michael

The wings have been quite a lot of work, but I've enjoyed working on them, so far. The main wing construction is done, but I still have to build the ailerons and flaps, and then I have to design and build nacelles to house the motors.

Michael

Michael

Ailerons and flaps constructed and installed.

Michael

Frank v B

Michael,

Love the slotted flap geometry with the pin hinges. 
You should be able to land this thing at walking speed. ;D

Frank

Michael

All major standard construction is done. I still need to check the glue joints and  do some more sanding.

Then, the major modifications start: I will install servos but differently then on the plans, and then start designing and building nacelles for the motors.

Michael