Alien Aircraft Pinwheel - electric conversion

Started by Michael, January 15, 2023, 10:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I am building a sport-aerobatic model airplane of an Alien Aircraft (Sig Mfg) kit. I bought it from Great Hobbies, and I think it was the last one in stock. I`m not even sure if they're being manufactured any more. That would be a shame, because this is a good quality line of balsa kits. This is my 3rd AA kit.

https://sigmfg.com/products/alien-aircraft-pinwheel-60

Michael

Michael

This thread is not a complete building log. I'm pretty much building everything as per the online instructions, and on the included plans. I'll just post a few images of my progress, and deviations from the instructions, to suit electric power.

It's a great quality kit. Parts fit very well, and a fair bit of hardware is included. Some things and hardware is not included, but is generally available at the local hobby store.

The front part of the fuselage was supposed to be completely closed, but I made the entire front-top removable, in 2 pieces, for changing batteries, and servicing the motor, if needed.

I've finished basic construction. Covering is supposed to be next, but I'll install the radio system first. It's easier with open access to the fuselage and the wing.

The model in the photo is assembled, but not glued together.

Michael

Michael

The instructions call for a .46 or larger glow/fuel engine, but I'll be using an E-Flite 32 brushless motor with a 60 amp speed control, with a 5-cell (18.5 volts) 5000 mah lipo battery pack, and an appropriate propeller to keep the amperage draw within the limits of the speed control and motor.

Based on my experience using this power set-up, I'm confident it'll fly the plane well.
Michael

bfeist

That's a great looking build. If the gas build instructions are online, you could produce a one-pager on electric conversion and post it here or on rc-groups for people to find who are interested in the kit. The original kit designer might even appreciate it.

Ben

Michael

Thanks, Ben. Specific instructions to convert this model to electric may be redundant, since the model is not available anymore, and may be discontinued.

Anyway, I've added a few images with notes that basically show the electric conversion, which will differ from plane to plane, and differ according to equipment used.

Michael

Michael

The instructions do not include any information about painting the canopy.

I used a simple method.

I used masking tape and cut out the area to be painted. The photos explain everything.

Michael

Michael

Covering is completed.

Michael

Michael

Finished! Nice midsize (60 inches) sport flyer.

Radio (triple rates) and stabilizer (electric 3-axis gyroscope) installed, and about a half-pound of lead weight in the nose to balance.

If a successful flyer, then maybe a pilot, landing gear fairings and some decals will be added.

Michael

GuyOReilly

It looks fast just sitting there.
Any plans for some deca or patterns for orientation?

Michael

Michael