Flight Instruction

Started by thehaze, May 21, 2013, 06:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imran13

Yes Simon, the one Imran bought off of you was my birthday present :D and he already bought a Leader before that :D It's an awesome plane, really smooth
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

imran1042

Yea  ;D I love the leader! IT'S AMAZING i did a few loops and rolls and i flew inverted!!
Any day at the field is a good day :)

thehaze

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Ededge2002

Amazing tubing there Mike!  Perfection
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Candu

Here's a picture of my HK EPP FPV after it made an unscheduled landing (aka crash) in the farmer's shoe sucking muddy field - looks like damage is only "minor" :) and hopefully it should be ready to fly again next Wed.... Radio control to the model was lost for reasons unknown (yet). It did not respond to control inputs from either mine or the instructor's radio.

sihinch

Oh no, I'm sorry to see that.

thehaze

That'll buff right out...

Sorry for the crash.

thehaze

Candu

Just to close the loop on last Wednesday's crash.  After rebuilding the frame and reconnecting all the electronics, I was not able to get the motor to respond to my throttle stick input until I reprogram the ESC for min/max throttle stick position. It appeared that the ESC program settings were  lost.

The ESC is installed inside the hull without ventilation so heat accumulation inside the hull may have caused the ESC to shut down. Since the RC receiver is power by the BEC from the ESC, thus control radio link was lost resulting in the crash. I'm 90% confident that was the cause of the crash.

To minimize this from happening again, I implemented the following:

1. Cut two holes in the hull to force ventilation over the ESC. Hopefully this will prevent over heating.

2. Install a separate BEC to power the RC receiver directly from the Lipo. So if the ESC fails again, I would loose the motor but I would still have control over the control surfaces and hopefully be able do a dead stick landing.

Here's a couple of pictures showing the forced ventilation 'system'. The hole at the front of the plane has the cup opening facing forward to ramp air into the hull, and the rear opening has the cup opening facing backwards to suck out the exhaust. The rear opening is located just above where the ESC is mounted.

Front opening (just above the wheel):

Rear:

Frank

Gregor77

Frank. Nice repair. Most of us are starting to install desperate sbec units in the planes we love.

thehaze

Nice work! Adding a separate bec is like having a parachute. You probably won't need it, but when the moment comes you'll be glad you do.

Bobmic

Without relation to the benefit of separate BEC overheating in a plane like is a bit strange. Are you close to the current limit of the ESC at full throttle with a fresh battery?
Also if the ESC cut the power due to over heating it shouldn't have required reprogramming the limits.
Maybe there is something wrong with the ESC?

Candu

The ESC is rated at 60A. It is possible I have a faulty ESC but there were no ESC incident after it flew a few of circuits this evening. The ESC and motor were too hot to the touch after landing. I haven't measure the actual full load current but I'll measure it in the shop when I have a chance.

Gregor77

Frank. I think that the plane is over propped. It flies normal at 1/4 throttle and becomes a bear to handle over 1/2 to full. There was one or two times the esc or motor was slightly cutting out in flight. But I can't confirm without an amp draw test. But after flying it. Please go find a proper type of plane. You can't learn on this one. I had to change my under wear almost wear almost twice that night.

sihinch

Phew - so it wasn't just me.  I also struggled to control your plane, Frank, I'm afraid.  It's certainly not easy to fly, and cannot be classed as a trainer! Sorry!