Frank- trying to make an 80 year-old retired pilot smile- a 50" span Tiger Moth

Started by Frank v B, October 25, 2019, 09:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyOReilly

piker

Amazing!  The Moth looks great.

We know it was a ton of work, but the owner will be VERY happy, I'm sure.

Robert

Frank v B

Thanks Guy and Piker.

A normal balsa plane (kit or scratch) takes me about 40 hours to build from first cut to first flight.  This plane has about 50 hours into it.  That's why renovations are more expensive than knocking down a house and starting over.  Piker is living proof.   A good thing you started fresh with your house.  ;) :D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

octagon

Hey Frank. I saw that plane a month ago and I cannot believe it is the same one. Good job!
What could possibly go wrong?

Frank v B

Thanks Rob, just don't look too closely.  It is definitely a 50/50 scale model.*

Frank

* if you cannot see it at 50' and 50 km/hr it doesn't matter.

Frank v B

Made the final adjustments before tomorrow's visit to John's Hobbies at 3 pm:

- made and installed two pushrods for the ailerons.
- installed a radio switch in the cockpit.  Connected it to a charged 4 cell NiCad pack so the owner can wiggle the sticks without the danger of the motor starting.
- connected the elevator and rudder servos and pushrods.
- installed the blind nuts to hold the upper wing.
- tested everything.

Ready for tomorrow.

Frank

Frank v B

Dropped the fuselage off at the store this afternoon.  Ray, the owner, could not make it because of the wet snow.  Both Mr. John and Roger of John's Hobby Shop were there to inspect the fuselage.  They have the plane and the radio so when Ray does come in he can at least wiggle the sticks.  Once Ray has seen it, I will pick the plane up and finish it.  Then we can start the count-down to Spring.  The plan is to have Roger pick Ray up and drive him to Rogo field for the maiden flight.

The radio was a donation from the estate of Mr. Hitchcock, the father of a supplier of ours who passed away before he could solo.  It is a 6 channel Futaba 72 meg radio with dual rates and mechanical travel adjust and servo reversing.

I hooked the radio up with a 4.8 volt flight pack so the sticks can be wiggled without the danger of the motor spinning.

In the photo are Mr. John (left) and Roger (runs the RC dept).

Frank

piker

Awesome!

Hey!  Those two look the same as they did over 20 years ago when I lived in the area and would shop there!  Amazing!

Robert

msatin

This a great story Frank and truly nice thing you've done!
Should be an article in MAAC Magazine
You never fail until you stop trying

Frank v B

We have just confirmed that the presentation of the TEMAC TigerMoth will take place next Saturday, March 7 at 1 pm at John's Hobbies (Danforth east of Woodbine).  The Pilot has had some health and weather issues to deal with but the time has been confirmed.

It would be great if a couple of the local TEMAC members could show up for the presentation (Simon H., Simon C., Gerald?).

Frank

Frank v B

Ray dropped by the store today at exactly 1 pm and was shown his airplane.  Gerald Danen and I were there on behalf of TEMAC.  To say Ray was overjoyed is an understatement.  We are aiming to have its maiden flight at Rogo Field Sunday about 3 weeks from now, depending on the weather and Ray's health.  Ray was a Trans Canada Airlines (became Air Canada) pilot and flew DC-3's and DC-7's everywhere.  He was a prop man, never a jet jockey.

Ray asked Roger of John's Hobbies "how much do I owe you?". Roger gave the correct answer that "TEMAC is looking after it".

Two photos taken by Gerald.

Frank

bweaver

Great Frank,

You did a wonderful job in finishing off the plane and have made Ray, I am sure very happy.  A job well done! 

Now carry on and top it off in 3 weeks with the maiden. 

I'll be working on the weather on yours and Ray's behalf. 

Thanks Frank...

davidk

GuyOReilly

Frank v B

Thanks for the support guys... and Guy.

We have tentatively set the maiden flight for the Tiger Moth for Sunday, April 5 if the weather is OK and Ray is feeling OK.  The plan is to have Roger of John's Hobbies pick up Ray and drive him to the field for 11 am.  We plan to be ready.  The final Go/no go will be made 3 days before when we see the 3 day forecast and Roger can get Ray's health status.  Ray's neighbour Dave* has asked to be invited as well.  We expect him to attend.

The action standard is :
- if the maiden is successful Ray will be given the airplane to take home.  Plane, radio, motor, battery and all courtesy of TEMAC.
- if the maiden has a hiccup, the plane will be repaired and re-maidened two weeks later (Easter is in between).... then Ray will be sent home with the plane.

He will go home with an airplane that has flown and is in one piece... no matter what!

To improve our chances of success I would love to be able to count on Bruce and Glenn as assistants.... or slave drivers. ;D

Fingers crossed.

Frank

* Dave drives Ray around to doctors' appointments, etc.  Dave drove Ray to the store last week.