Frank- trying to make an 80 year-old retired pilot smile- a 50" span Tiger Moth

Started by Frank v B, October 25, 2019, 09:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyOReilly

I plan to be there, camera on hand.
Looking forward to this event.
Guy

bweaver

Re: To improve our chances of success I would love to be able to count on Bruce and Glenn as assistants.... or slave drivers. ;D

I'm good for that, or are you just looking for weather assistance?  :P

davidk

I'll be there wearing a mask and gloves and standing way in the background.

Very happy to see this maiden.

Frank v B

Bruce,

I don't know whether or not I need help with the weather.  You did a great job last Sunday so you're a keeper for that job.

David,

Mask?  Heck, I'll wear a hazmat suit.  Do you need protection from a virus or me?? ;) ;)

Thanks for the support.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

Needless to say we have delayed the flight originally scheduled for tomorrow.

I have started back at this model to do the final details  (insignias, numbers, colour stripes, etc.).  I have left it up to Roger from John's Hobbies to make it any Sunday that he feels comfortable.  Ray is in a very compromised health state so we need to be sure it is safe.

Will post updates on the finishing touches.  I will let Bruce and Glenn know the date just in case they are able to help for the maiden. 
Guy, you're still on call for the photography assignment.

Frank

Frank v B

The details:

Since Ray was a Canadian pilot, I have chosen a Canadian livery for the Tiger Moth.  This one is registered in Gatineau, Quebec and apparently flies with the Hamilton War Heritage group.  Good enough for me.

Made the roundel out of peel and stick colour film,.  Left-overs from a printing company.

Photo 15- The roundel on the fuse had to be 2.25" in diameter.  I drew out the circles from the centreline.  Only the blue and red circles had to be accurate.  The while just had to be smaller than the 2.25" outside diameter.  The circle cutter came from Dollarama a few year ago.  It has a center point and a cutting blade on the outer arm.
Photo 16- the mocked up roundel
Photo 17- the roundel on the fuselage.  The red/white/blue stripes on the fin were electrical tape.

The numbers were cut out from a set of 72 meg Futaba antenna flag with the frequency number on it.  Glued with a very tacky clear glue.

Meets the 50/50 rule.

Frank

ps: I was sooooo envious of Simon's home printed water slide decals.

Michael

I want everyone to be aware, this is not an official TEMAC event.

This, and any other activity related to TEMAC, is not an essential activity.

Please do not use this website to invite other members to congregate while there is a Stay-At-Home situation in this province.

Michael

Frank v B

Michael,

Do not worry.  It will not take place until all clear signal has been given by Queen's Park, Ottawa and the TEMAC executive.  It will not be the first gathering at the field once the all clear signal has been given.  Ray is way too frail to risk anything.

Frank

Michael

Michael

GuyOReilly

@Frank v B  I will be available for camera and video duties whenever needed..... Provided that the Filed is open and we have the ALL CLEAR.  :-X
Also, provided that the other official photographer is not too critical of my artwork.  :o   I saw how @bweaver was treated when showing off him Italian creation.  ;)
Guy

Frank v B

Thanks Guy.

Just Googled Tiger Moth 8869 to see if there were roundels on the top wing.  Answer.  Yes!  Now I'll have to make those.

The first photo shows the size and placement but not on this model.  The second photo is of 8869.

Will cut them out tomorrow.

Frank

Frank v B

Now for the wing roundels.

Looked at the photo, eyeballed the size and measured it at 5" diameter.  Drew the line and made the diameters of the external and internal dimensions of the roundel colours and started cutting.

Placed it on the starboard wing.  Then did measurements of the centre and transferred the spot to the port wing.  Put a pin in the wing at the centre point and installed the white roundel first using the pin as the centre point.  Then eyeballed the blue circle and then the centre red spot.

Done.  Yeah!

Frank

Frank v B

Found the plastic cockpit canopy and tried to figure out how and where it attaches. 
Googled the plane and found that the top deck of the front extends to behind the cabane struts.  have to fill in the part between the cabanes.

Made two formers and glued them in place.  Have cut slots for 3/16" stringers.  Will then cover it with two layers of 1/16 balsa to get the thickness to match the thickness of the fuse side.

Note: the canopy still has to be cleaned.  All the dirt is visible.

Frank

GuyOReilly

@Frank v B that is going to be tricky to cover between the struts.  Did you figure out how to do that yet?  Do you have a small enough iron? 
Great job, the plane will look even better with a clean canopy. ;D

Frank v B

Guy,

re: "that is going to be tricky to cover between the struts.  Did you figure out how to do that yet?

Yep.  Nope!

I never have a grand scheme other than the objective.  In this case the top must be extended.  I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

It is usually easier than you first think.  I'll take you through my thought process....once I find the "on" switch. ;D

Just put the stringers in place.  As usual, the stringers are long.  I cut them after the glue has dried.  See photo.

Frank