Sig Kadet Seniorita

Started by GuyOReilly, November 14, 2022, 09:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Guy,

re: your "Note to self: when determining right thrust, look from the rear of the plane.   ???"

You have just been promoted to "expert builder" status.

To achieve this, you must have:
- taken off with reversed ailerons.
- reverse-wired a motor.
- built two same wing halves... and fuselage halves.
- reversed elevator when coming to the field.
- attached covering without removing the backing.
- forgotten to center a servo before connecting a push-rod.

Oh, yes, and burned yourself on a covering or soldering iron.

Frank

ps: note the absence of a lipo fire from the list.  It is on a different list.  :)
"Never trade luck for skill"

GuyOReilly

Thank you @Frank v B for this exhaustive list.
However, you forgot:
- Glued fingers with CA.
- Cut body parts with #11 Exacto blade.
- Started motor with prop on whilst the fuselage was not secure and the wing not attached.
That is just to name a few...
Happy New Year!!

PS: We should go sailing because we cannot fly at the moment...

GordPayne

Yes. I'm on the LiPo fire list. Not an auspicious list to be on.

Now I'm on the "Proud owner of 2 fresh fire extinguishers and lipo bags list"
Old Buttonville proverb,"If you have to hit the fence, hit the far fence, not the near fence."

Frank v B

Guy,

re: your "PS: We should go sailing because we cannot fly at the moment..."

I am ready.  Call me when you find some soft water. ;)

Gord
re: your "Proud owner of 2 fresh fire extinguishers and lipo bags list".
Don't let anyone laugh at a small fire extinguisher.  A small fire extinguisher at the one minute mark into a fire will do a lot more good than a fire truck at 15 minutes.
Photo 1- shows the small fire extinguisher I used to put out a raging lipo fire with one burst (only 20% of capacity used).
photo 2- the scene of the grime after the fire was out.

Frank

GuyOReilly

Shaping of the cowling started, one side completed.  DuraGrit makes easy work of the rough carving. 

GuyOReilly

Installed, not glued, testing for movements and just for fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NroCHGPGnhI

GuyOReilly

The plan calls for the stab to be affixed to the fuselage stringers.
As per the picture, it appears that there are very small contact area.
Also, for good glue joint, this should be epoxied prior to covering.
The problem is that there is no support for the covering when removed from the locations shown.
I am confused as to how to proceed. :-\
Perhaps I should epoxy in place and then cover?   ???

GuyOReilly

Thank you @Frank v B  for this suggestion.
These planes have a built-in weakness.  On a hard landing the fuse snaps immediately ahead of the leading edge of the stab.
I offer the following.  I do this on all planes whether it is indicated on the plans or not.
Fill in the top horizontal triangle under the stab.  Put the grain cross-wise (span-wise) so it holds the top together in the event of a crash.  If you run the grain lengthwise it will just split open and not hold the top together.  In your case 3/32 or 1/8" balsa would do.  It also gives a larger/safer glue area when covering.  :-)

GuyOReilly

Covering the tail and then when thinking it pull away from the centre.
Darn!!
Too much heat, not enough area to hold, dust on the surface...
It is a do-over.

GuyOReilly

Gregor77

GuyOReilly

Quick video view from the cockpit...
I will need to modify the location of the camera as the view is rather limited from inside the cockpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwRgnWbcZdA

GuyOReilly

Ready for Maiden Flight.
Oops, box in the way...

When will the rain stop?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyC7IzNDG_c

Frank v B

Guy,

re: the box in the way- the plane is now pre-crashed.   ;)

re: when will the rain stop?  If it rains a few more days we should prep our RC sailboats. 8)  ... and book our places on the ARK.  I hear they will be taking two model builders.  ;D

Frank

ps: Tune down the elevator by about 30%.  These planes float and are quite responsive to elevator, not to aileron.

GuyOReilly

Well, the Maiden Flight did not go as expected, to say the least.
The first video is the take-off run, quite normal, here is a link to the 6-second video.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/fYBy7LFHzQE

The second video 6-second video shows the sudden cartwheel.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/TT29tlVozpI

The post incident analysis indicated the following:
1- The servo connection was poor as there was an insufficient amount of threaded rod inserted in the clevis for the left aileron and it pulled from its spot as can be seen in the attached photo.
2- The receiver stabilizer function was reversed.  When the plane was turning right, it exacerbated the right roll tendency.
3- The pilot was tired, jet-lagged and wanted to get that flight in and incorrectly interpreted the roll tendency.
4- The wing mount was glued as per the instructions; however, there needs to be additional gussets for rigidity.  The wing came off without damage and the rubber bands did their job.
5- The motor came off - The firewall plywood delaminated and the propeller did not break.

For the "next Maiden" the following changes will be done in addition to what was mentioned above:
A- Be well rested.
B- Fix the tail wheel pull/pull system for more tension.
C- Turn off all automatic roll/yaw/pitch automatic controls.
D- Perhaps have the flight conducted by @Frank v B so as to have someone else to blame for any mishaps...  ;)

Concerning TC regulations, as evidenced by the videos that the plane was still rolling on the ground, this plane did not take-off, therefore no logbook entry is required as per builder/manufacturer's (i.e., my) instruction.  The left wing was raised and the right wing hit the ground when the receiver exacerbated the right roll tendency, cartwheeling the whole thing.

So there you have it, I will eat my humble pie now.
Guy