Custom, scratch-built Micro Jet

Started by Michael, February 15, 2024, 03:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Another of my 2020-2022 Covid projects was the scratch-built Micro Jet, made of Depron (thin stryrofoam sheet material) and components that I had lying around from previous models and projects. This included a E-Flite UMX (Ultra Micro) EDF (electric ducted fan) power/radio system.

When I finally flew it, it was unstable, because the electronic stabilization (in the receiver) was backwards, in regards to how I built the model. Dave helped me sort this out. On 2 subsequent flights the model flew well with a hand-launch, but didn't turn right well at all. This may be because the V-tail I built was not effective, or was twisted, or something else. I tried a few fixes, but nothing worked, so I decided to redo the tail setup with a standard stabilizer/elevator fin/rudder set-up.
Michael

Michael

The first challenge was the combined receiver/ESC unit. It would only work for elevens or a V-tail. This had to be replaced. I had an old Spektrum receiver (the type that was wrapped in flexible black thin plastic), and I found some old ultra-sub-micro servos, which replaced the tiny linear servos. I also used a small and light speed control that I had on hand.
Michael

Michael

I cut out tail parts from a sheet of 1/8" depron. These were cut, and then hinged with dull Scotch tape. Linkages and pushrods were fashioned from thin wire, carbon fiber
Michael

Michael

The speed control was pushed to the front of the plane to help with balancing.
Michael

Michael

A little bit of paint and it's ready for a new flight. The model weighs 3½ ounces, has a 21" wingspan, and is 16¾" long.
Michael

GuyOReilly

So cute!
Best of luck with the Maiden Flight!