Apprentice Master Slave Setup

Started by davidk, June 02, 2019, 11:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidk

First, I have to say that today was excellent.  Watching Frank fly his super-powered 15 cent (when I was a kid) balsa glider in high winds was a hoot.
Bruce had me throttle down so that the Apprentice was stationary... high wind speed, zero ground speed... very cool.
Richard checked and rechecked the Apprentice, set everything up, bound, trimmed, sub-trimmed... I think he baked a cake at one point... and never broke a sweat.

We did encounter one problem.  When using my DXe as Slave to the DX9, and in Slave Mode, there was no down elevator.  Instead of wasting valuable flying time (the wind was picking up nicely) we switched to using Richard's Transmitter as Slave... all good.

When I got home and thought about it for a bit, I understood why no down elevator.

The Panic Button for the Apprentice is the Bind Button on the DXe.
The Master/Slave Button on the DX9 is the Bind Button.
When in Slave Mode, the DXe was effectively also in Panic Mode... so... no down elevator... 'cause why would you want to head down while you're panicing.

Knowing this I could look for the answer... which is to ensure the DXe Panic Channel is set the same as the DX9.  With the DXe, I did the Gimbals up and together thing, selected the Panic Channel, and Reversed it.  Now, DX9 presses the Bind Button for Slave Mode, DXe has full up and down evelator, and DXe Bind Button tries to save the day.

This is all very cool.  I didn't need a panic button today... Bruce was my panic button... thank goodness.

Cheers.

bweaver

Another analitical radio wizard has arrived.  Love it! 

(Because it's all French to me.)

Oscar

David, Good job.  I saw you fly with Bruce.  It's great!  :D

Frank v B

How much more difficult can a manufacturer make a simple 4 channel set-up.  I cannot believe how much they go out of their way to make a simple thing stupidly difficult.

In another 5 years only post-doctoral students can apply for RC flight instruction.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Palkina

Quote from: Frank v B on June 03, 2019, 05:49:02 PM
In another 5 years only post-doctoral students can apply for RC flight instruction.

Frank

Ummm. I'd say in five years we could have our avatars flying for us.  :D