Flying on April 2

Started by jimconnell, April 03, 2006, 09:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimconnell

Hi Everyone

After reading about others who have been able to get flying this year, I was determined to try this last weekend (April 1~2) if the weather would cooperate.  Well Saturday was a wash out but Sunday was clear and bright without too much wind.  So off I went.  I arrived at our field about 1:00 pm. and a couple of things surprised me.  The first was just how good the field appeared to be for this time of year and the second was the fact that there was no one else out there flying with these conditions.  (did we lose some trees at the north end of the field over the winter?)

This being the first flight of the season, I took a far amount of time checking that everything was tight and ready to go.  I lined my plane along the smoothest strip of grass and tried to take off.  I got about ten feet when my left wheel hit a hole and the plane started to cart wheel over, but just before it crashed the same wheel freed itself, hit a bump on the ground and my plane jumped into the air.  From there I was able to crawl into the sky but it was clear that something was very wrong.  The motor sounded very rough and my plane was all over the sky.  (More than usual!)  I flew a couple of circuits trying just to get it fly straight and level before attempting to land but no such luck.  So I started my final approach and considering the situation probably made my best landing ever.  Upon inspection it would appear that I lost half of my propeller during takeoff, which seemed to account for all my trouble in the sky.  (I didn't know a plane would fly with a one bladed propeller) I replaced the propeller rechecked everything and hand launched the second flight in which the only trouble I experienced was from my own flying ability.

I posted this because I thought others should be aware that the field does have a fair amount of holes so you really need to be careful taking off or landing.

Hope to see you at the field soon.

Jim Connell

Michael

We must have missed each other by only a few minutes.

I flew 4 planes from noon to 1pm.

You're right, there are holes that catch wheels fairly easily. Takes-offs are tricky, but landings seem no problem.

I would suggest, now that the grass has grown in so well, that we try to flatten the field to some degree.

Do others agree with me, and does anyone have any ideas on how to do this, or who can do this?

Michael
Michael

slo-poke

I would suggest, now that the grass has grown in so well, that we try to flatten the field to some degree.

Do others agree with me, and does anyone have any ideas on how to do this, or who can do this?

Michael

Save the flattening for a pair of pants.[;)] With the heavy clay soil we have ,rolling it will compress it more and force out all the air which grass roots depend on . I would suggest that the low spots be filled in with compost,loam or at worst topsoil . This would level the field and allow ther grass to speediliy fill in the bare spots. This doesn't have to cover the entire field at once ,  rather areas the are used for take off first.
Healthy lawn= happy lawn=flat lawn.
John

Michael

Filling in the holes with soil sounds like a good idea to me (maybe we can even mix in a few grass seeds into the soil).

It's also probably a cheaper and faster solution than "flattening" the field. If 10 or 12 guys go out one morning, we could probably fill in most of the field in a couple hours.

Good idea John. Thanks.

Michael
Michael

rkhoo

One little, two little, 3 little pot-holes, four little, five little, fill-it-up-with-composit. :)-

piker

Let me know when.  I'll bring my trailer and get it loaded up at the garden place down the road.  That is if you think we need that much fill.

Robert

Michael

Great!

We'll discuss it at the AGM for a few minutes.

(TEMAC members make up 20% of the EMFSO).

Michael
Michael

slo-poke

Let me know when.  I'll bring my trailer and get it loaded up at the garden place down the road.  That is if you think we need that much fill.
Robert

There's a compost producer just north of the field on Aurora side road.I'm sure it'l be cheaper than bying it from the garden center. also  alot of municipalities have free compost give- aways in the spring. If people keep an eye open for that it would help. If everyone that could would bring a bushel of compost or loam it would help a lot.
Re.. the amount, your trailer might cover 100 sq ft.
Seeding and fertilizing right now would also be good .

John

slo-poke

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael

Filling in the holes with soil sounds like a good idea to me (maybe we can even mix in a few grass seeds into the soil).

If you do add seed ,don't mix it in. Grass seed has to be on the surface so the birds can find it. The real reason is grass seed needs moisture and sunlight to germinate.
John

piker

quote:
Re.. the amount, your trailer might cover 100 sq ft.

I thought we were talking about spot filling.  Not raising the level by a foot  [:)]

Robert

Michael

The forecast for this coming Sunday is 10 degress C.

How about this Sunday at noon, or so?

And if it's not too windy, we fly too.

Michael
Michael

piker

Ugh!!!!  I'd like to come out and help, and I may be able to do so, but if you're looking for the trailer it's currently unavailable.  I won't have it back on the road until late next week.  Hitch issues.

Doesn't matter anyway.  Slo-Poke says we need a few dump truck loads  [:D]

Robert

bfeist

if this is happening this sunday, please post here and let us know. It might be a good idea to make it an "event" on the homepage of the site.

Benjamin Feist - EMFSO Website Developer

Michael

If the wind is reasonable light (15km or less), I'd be willing to confirm that I'll be there noon Sunday.

Whether we work on the field or not, I'd be ready to fly.

Anyone else?

Michael
Michael

gordonbw

I'll be there.... Michael, I'd be grateful for the opportunity to borrow your wire bender.

Gordon Braun-Woodbury
"How on earth do I land this thing?"