TEMAC for 2007; online member's meeting

Started by Michael, December 05, 2006, 07:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric

I'm always up for a little manual labour. Count me in.

piker

I agree with Gordon.  It seems impractical to me to try to get trunk load by trunk load to the field.  By the time we would have enough the summer would be over.  I think the best thing would be to do as Gordon suggests.  Get a delivery and spread it ourselves.  That is assuming we need a lot to fill the holes.

Again, any expense and effort can only be justified if he have a reasonable chance of being there for a few years.

Robert

Wally_boy

I've had a great time learning to fly this past year, at TEMAC.  I like the way it's run, and I'm willing to lend some muscle to renovations.

Robert

wollins

I'm with Gordon on this one!

Colin.

|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'! :)
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

slo-poke

QuoteOriginally posted by piker

I agree with Gordon.  It seems impractical to me to try to get trunk load by trunk load to the field.  By the time we would have enough the summer would be over.  I think the best thing would be to do as Gordon suggests.  Get a delivery and spread it ourselves.  That is assuming we need a lot to fill the holes.

I believe Michael looked into a landscaper doing the field originally and I believe the quote was in the multi thousand dollars.As I'm sure you know if you've hired someone it's not the materials that cost the big bucks it's the fact someone comes out and uses his expertise.  This is not Rocket Science. The field is generally pretty good . It's just those odd holes that get all the attention. I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to take off on the far side of the field. The only area we really have to worry about is the strip twenty feet out from the flight line. All the field needs is a pail of compost raked over in every bald spot ,loosened with a fork and some seeds spread. It's out of our hands then.
 What do you mean you don't want to bring a few trunk loads of compost? You've got that nice trailer or is it perhaps TOO nice ? Besides ,there are other members of the club that can bring compost as I said earlier.
 As I've mentioned before and had it fall on deaf ears, there is a very large commercial composting company directly north of the field on Aurora side Rd. I know they sell and deliver truck loads of compost.
 Something to think about since everyone wants to spend money.
BTW Richmond Hill has a fantastic field and they did it themselves and continue to maintain it annually.
John

slo-poke

QuoteOriginally posted by wollins

I'm with Gordon on this one!

Colin.

|What happened to "I'm a big boy and can handle it"?[;)]
This is not building the pyramids. Once the compost is at the field I see us spending the morning doing this and flying in the afternoon. Remember the whole field including the additional 100'depth our farmer ploughed under for his corn took me and Andre one day to do. That was when the field had foot deep ruts of rock hard clay and included picking up my machine in the morning and quitting around 2:30 because it started to rain. My daughter then helped me the next day spread the grass seed. About two hours.
John

Michael

Slo-poke said " ... The field is generally pretty good . It's just those odd holes that get all the attention. I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to take off on the far side of the field. The only area we really have to worry about is the strip twenty feet out from the flight line. All the field needs is a pail of compost raked over in every bald spot ,loosened with a fork and some seeds spread. It's out of our hands then. "

I agree with this. In fact it may only be a few hours work if about a dozen of us do the work, and limit ourselves to a take-off and landing strip, say about 50 feet wide by 200 feet long.

Michael
Michael

wollins

Whatever it takes, let's seriously "git er done"! :)

John ... my offer's still good. [;)] Whatever it takes, I'm up for it, whether it be "heavy stuff" or "some gentle rakeing". [:D]

"limit ourselves to a take-off and landing strip, say about 50 feet wide by 200 feet long."

Hmmm ... seeing as how I can hardly hit the ENTIRE field sometimes, maybe a bit wider? [:I]

Colin.

|
|
|

|
|
|

piker

quote:
I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to take off on the far side of the field.

True, but the landings do damage too, and they take place everywhere.

quote:
All the field needs is a pail of compost raked over in every bald spot ,loosened with a fork and some seeds spread.

Agreed.  We can do the work ourselves.

quote:
 What do you mean you don't want to bring a few trunk loads of compost? You've got that nice trailer or is it perhaps TOO nice ?

I think it'll be difficult to get a bunch of people to drive to the field several time with compost instead of planes.  It seem more appropriate to spend a few bucks to get a truck load delivered then spread ourselves.  I offered my trailer for a load or two back in the summer but you said that amount wouldn't even make a dent.  That's why I'm thinking a few trunks full won't either.

quote:
 Something to think about since everyone wants to spend money.

I think what's needed is a balance of time and cost.  

[/quote]BTW Richmond Hill has a fantastic field and they did it themselves and continue to maintain it annually.[/quote]

They had it professionally leveled with top soil and planted when the field was established and the sod farm people across the road maintain it, I believe.

Robert

piker

quote:
Hmmm ... seeing as how I can hardly hit the ENTIRE field sometimes, maybe a bit wider? [:I]

Me too [:)]

Robert

Michael

Anybody have an idea how much it would cost to purchase an appropriate amount of compost and have it delivered, maybe in late March?

Also, it seems we are now talking about covering the whole field; I thought the intention was to fill the holes.

Michael
Michael

wollins

Michael,

Seeing that certain decisions were made and a conclusion was reached about the TEMAC topics at the winter workshop on Wednesday, maybe you could post them here so that members who were not able to make it out could be brought up to speed? [:)] Great meeting, by the way!

Colin.

|
|
|

|
|
|

Michael

We basically agreed to leave the executive in place as is, and keep running the club as is.

We agreed to smooth-out the field in early spring. It was mentioned that we could cut down a few more trees on the north side, but most members don't seem to mind them anymore.

It was also noted that we permission to fly in winter (Sat and Sun only) across the road behind the Christian Blind mission.

Michael
Michael

Michael

I'll update the TEMAC website this weekend!

If anyone has any photos of something they're building or have ready for the upcoming flying season, send me an email (with the image) and a description so I can post it on the TEMAC website.

Michael
Michael

Michael

Michael