Electric Model Club

Started by the giant, September 07, 2003, 06:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the giant

10 years ago (approximately) a group of e-flyers gathered in Milliken Park (McCowan & Steels) to fly their craft.  Those were days of experimentation, development, and creativity.  It was amazing to watch the development of flyers both in building and flying.  I feel the efforts of Michael are to be commended in taking the initiative to do what many have wanted for some time.  I have said many times that a flyer is as good as his/her equipment.  This is also true about the flying facility.  Electric flight in the GTA is going to take an exciting and creative leap forward.  I hope that flyers will see fit to stand behind this effort as we strive to expand our own minds in the area of electric flight as well as the minds of glow flyers and pre-flyers alike.  Show your support with a note to acknowlege Michael with a "thanks."

the Giant

piker

Very well said, Andre.  I couldn't agree more.  

Many have talked about establishing a "proper" Electric R/C field for years.  Michael is doing it.

I too look forward to the increased creativity and experimentation this field will help foster.  It will be part of a huge leap forward for the Electric Flight community in the area.  It IS going to be an exciting time.

Thank you! thank you! thank you! to Michael for taking the initiative and making this happen.

Robert

Ex14th

Andre, very well said. 10 years eh. Has it been that long? I remember loosing the Kyosho Mustang in the pond at the far end of the park, and you helped me and went for a swim and retreived it for me, time "flys" (no pun intended) when you're having fun.

I am really excited with Michael's announcement of the idea, so much so that I took a family outing drive to the new field that very afternoon, and I am very pleased with what i saw, lots of potential.

Mike is to be congratulated for taking the steps to make this a reality, I for one, will definitly join and pay the initial contribution, financially and resourcs wise; to make this a world-class (e?)club. Thank you Mike.

Alex

Bigstik

What is all the talk about an electric field? Is there going to be one? Where? Has there been an "official" anouncement regarding an e-field? Need more info.

Alan

Bigstik

Ironsides

An electric field would be a great development.

This is the first I have heard of it.  More details please.

David

Michael

Oh well, the cat's out of the bag.

Here's the announcement.

I have started an effort to open a MAAC chartered and registered flying club devoted strictly for electric model flying. This is to be a proper field, with all the benefits and responsibilities that go hand-in-hand with being a member of such a club. The name of the club is the Toronto Electric Model Aviation Club (TEMAC).

This effort was started on my own to avoid debating and arguing over procedure. For now, this is to be an independent club. The intention, though, is to have the club co-exist with the EMFSO. This relationship has yet to be worked out exactly.

Here is the progress so far:

- I have the support of the following people to prepare and promote the club, in official capacities:
Adam Rogozinsky, Jack Humpries, John Kusterin, Robert Pike and André Wedseltoft. As well, several of the guys at the 'casual' 14th club, such as Alex Lee, are very supportive. Jack Humphries and I are offering financial support, perhaps the EMFSO can help too.

- I have completed MAAC registration and chartering. As long as we follow MAAC rules, we will be flying insured. I have had verbal confirmation that MAAC will approve our submissions.

- The field is big! We will be able to fly all sizes of model aircraft. It is located near the intersection of Kennedy Road and Stoufville Road, about 10 to 15 minutes away from A&J Hobbies, and even closer to Pinnicle Hobby.

- IMPORTANT - Don't quit your own clubs yet - The lease for the field has not been completed. I hope to have this done by early October 2003. Let's all be realistic, it will take some time before the field is in top shape.

A lot of time, effort, negotiations and a little bit of money have gone into this project so far. It will take a lot more of each, especially more money, to progress. Once the land lease is completed, annual memberships will be offered for sale.

I have not made any secret about my efforts, but was intending to hold off on a major announcement until the deal for the land was complete. All details will be made available to everyone once they are finalized, probably by early or mid October.

A full story, map, diagram, club rules, membership rates, etc., will be published in an upcoming EMFSO newsletter and on the website, in due course.

Michael
Michael

Leo

I think congratulations are in order to Michael for his efforts in this endeavour.
If any help or assitance is needed or required, Michael I'm available.
Leo Sweers

lsweers
Leo

Bigstik

Great news! I join others and saying well done Michael.

Bigstik

gordonbw

Congratulations and thanks, Michael!  As one of the 14th Avenue crew, I'm happy to pay a little more and travel a little further to get the benefits of a large, sanctioned field and MAAC insurance. I'm now looking forward to adding some bigger planes to my current 7-cell based fleet.

Gordon Braun-Woodbury
“Crashing builds character. Really!”

GFDR

I think Michael and his buddies are doing EMFSO a great service. I will be joining for sure, even though I do not live in the GTO. I cannot help physically but may be able to provide some money if required.

R E Martin
R E Martin

Vince

It would be horrible having that field less than 10 minutes from my house here in Stouffville.
And right on my way to work!

Just let me know if you need any help.

Edited by - Vince on 11 Sep 2003  11:53:54 PM

piker

Hey Michael !

You make it sound like the EMFSO would require persuading to get financial support for the flying field.  When, in fact, I've been offering money (on behalf of the EMFSO), from the very beginning.  We just need to make it official    

Just wanted to make that clear so everyone knows we're behind the project 100%

Robert

Michael

UPDATE:

- TEMAC will take care of all responsibilities related to outdoor flying at this field, awarding "pilots wings" and maintaining the field; EMFSO will report on TEMAC activities in the EMFSO newsletter, provide some space on this website, and promote TEMAC. All TEMAC members must be MAAC members. TEMAC membership, which will cost $80 per year, includes an annual EMFSO membership as well.

- A&J Hobbies, Pinnical Hobbies, the EMFSO and I are offering financial support. So far only I have invested money.

- TEMAC is officially MAAC registered and chartered.

- A lease for the land has been finalized. It's a year-to-year lease for 3 acres of land including parking, pits and runway. I was there recently and I assure everyone, this is a big area to fly from (not neccessarily perfect to suit everyone, but pretty good).

- I am looking into the possibility of incorporating the club. Once this is done, memberships will be accepted. Membership applications and brochures should be printed soon.

Michael
Michael

slehmann

Michael,

That's amazing.  Congratulations and thank you for all the work you've done.  It sounds like the field is going to be right on the GO line, which will make it accessable to me (see another post about being stranded in TO).

I'm new to Electric RC and I'm looking forward to becoming a member of TEMAC.  

Slehmann

Michael

I flew at TEMAC today!

I had 2 good flights at about 5:15pm in a slight south wind with the sun to my back. It was a great feeling, flying on our own field.

The crop is clear, but there are still remnants, about 6" average height; definately no smooth landings. I find the field is actually quite smooth underneath. It's going to be nice.

I'm talking to a lawyer about incorporating the club, and will be accepting memberships soon.

Michael
Michael