Snow Flying...

Started by Wingnutz, February 05, 2014, 10:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ededge2002

I was off on a fishing adventure Saturday and Sunday this weekend.  The transportation provided was PERFECT to get in and out of the TEMAC field all winter long with LOTS of space inside for planes and gear!  The inside has a large heated area and it can go through what I would call any amount of snow.  I have been in these things before and I think they stopped making them in the 50's or something like that so they are quite the classic machines. 
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Wingnutz

Wow! What a fabulous idea for getting in to ROGO Field! I'll check with the treasurer and see if it's in the budget...understand he's quite a fan of snow-flying!
Actually the treasurer (Andy) inspired me to go snow flying this afternoon. The walk in wasn't bad and since I followed the advice of Andy's pilot meeting seminar on dressing for winter flying, I was pretty warm even though the temp. was -10 and the 15-20 km NW wind made it feel chillier.
I flew two planes, my Polaris and Hoover (a home-brewed EDF Polaris) ...nothing remarkable about that except, both models failed to go to full throttle on initial throttle opening. Both did go to full throttle after the throttle was advanced slowly and both flew without incident...anybody know what was going on?
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Ededge2002

Quote"
both models failed to go to full throttle on initial throttle opening. Both did go to full throttle after the throttle was advanced slowly and both flew without incident...anybody know what was going on?"

Cold batteries showing low voltage underload.  The running them up a little increased there temperature and boosted there output voltage.  I recommend having your packs heated right up till flight time and trying not to waste time in getting ready to fly.   
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Andy Hoffer

Wow!  Life in Beaverton is good!  Love the old vintage Bombardier snowmobiles.  But how do you fly your RC plane when you're in that little fishing hut.  FPV?!!  :D

It really was great at TEMAC again today.  By mid-afternoon the sun was out, lots of blue sky with some high cirrus cloud,  and we were really warm.  The path in from the highway is nicely compacted so the walk in is easy and invigorating.  The snow is terrific.  (No fish though!)  Hoping to do it again tomorrow!! 

Andy

Skyking

Hi Andy and others,

I saw the snow contraption and thought Hmmmm..... Maybe Greg could jimmy one up out of one of his Volkswagens!  So Greg, for the good of the club, what do you say?

I might make it to the field today too. Looks gorgeous.

Keep Smilin'
Actually, I can.

Andy Hoffer

Hi All:

I flew over the field at 12:45 today and it was beautiful, sunny, and hardly any wind - and nobody there!!

The snowmobilers and ice fisherman on Cook's Bay looked very happy!

I went to TEMAC at 2:00 and the weather was starting to change, but still very nice.  Over the next two hours it got really gusty out of the southeast - 22 kmh plus gusts.  A really good day to practice cross-wind takes and landings.  I was drained by 4:00 pm!

Love it!

Andy

piker

Ugh!  I was shut out of the computer all weekend.  It's not until I get to work that I can get back to the TEMAC message board!

Yes!  I finally made it out for some snow flying on Saturday.  It was pretty lonely, at first, until Greg C stopped by and hung out for a couple of flights.  Then, after he left, Snowballs showed up and kept flying after I left.   I put in three great flights with the Beaver and the order of the day was gentle, touch and go's.

So, I'm torn about this winter flying thing.  I was so wrapped up in multiple layers of clothing that I was quite warm and comfortable.  And when the wind chill froze my face, I could pull my scarf thingy up (it's actually a neck tube that can be pulled up around your ears or even over your head as a hood), over my nose and stay quite warm.  But I realized that my hands are very sensitive to the cold.  I just can't work with my bare hands for very long at sub-zero temps.  I was watching Andy...I mean Snowballs, in awe, as he worked away on his planes with bare hands.  I eventually just did almost all my set-up and flying with my gloves on and was reasonably comfortable, although it did feel weird flying with gloves and all wrapped up in a hat and scarf, etc.  I felt kind of out of touch with the whole experience.  However, I'm sure if the winds were more gentle, or even calm, it would have been a completely different experience.

BUT, despite the fact that I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold, I can certainly appreciate many aspects of flying from the beautiful snow that we have at TEMAC right now.  First, on a clear, sunny day, like Saturday, the contrast between the blue sky, and the pure, white snow is wonderful.  The snow levels out the entire field, beyond the edges of the cut grass, so the landing and take-off area is HUGE.  It's similar to flying from a large body of water, or a sod farm, but without the waves or the long grass.  The take-offs are straight and gentle and the planes just rise off the snow, and landings, or touch and go's, are graceful and easy.  Like float flying, it's desirable to taxi out and then back again after landing so you don't have to mess up the smooth snow with your foot steps, so this is an extra bit of care that you need to take.

For sure, it's a different experience from flying from grass, or even water. If I can just figure out a way to keep my hands warm, it would be a great activity to help get through the long winters.

Papa

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Andy Hoffer

Or for less impact on your budget:

http://www.radiantlite.com/2009/11/lowepro-photographer-gloves.html

http://www.daymen.ca/mediakit/lowepro/products/Accessories/Lowepro%20Photo%20Gloves.jpg

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_fall12/misty_underwear.pdf

The reality is that if your core, head, neck and feet are really warm, your hands will benefit.  I use bare hands for loading batteries, but I wear gloves when flying.  I got mine at Le Baron.  I'll post the name later (don't have them with me).  They are like a stretchy fleece, with elasticized storm cuffs.  Warm, not too thick, and provide good dexterity.  $35 plus tax.   I really like them. 

"Snowballs" Hoffer

Andy Hoffer

Stay tuned to this thread for a great photo of Rob enjoying white water flying at TEMAC this past Saturday!  (Over to you Rob.)

Andy

Gregor77

I had a chance to keep Robert company for a few minutes till I froze...  But fun none the less..

piker

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on February 18, 2014, 01:06:41 PM
Stay tuned to this thread for a great photo of Rob enjoying white water flying at TEMAC this past Saturday!  (Over to you Rob.)

Andy

I left my camera at home today.  I knew you'd be harassing me about that  ;D

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: piker on February 18, 2014, 03:02:05 PM
Quote from: Andy Hoffer on February 18, 2014, 01:06:41 PM

Andy

I left my camera at home today.  I knew you'd be harassing me about that  ;D

You have remarkably good instincts!!  :D

Andy

piker

O.K., O.K.  Here ya go Andy!

First picture showing the required equipment for snow flying... a float equipped plane and a bottle of the bubbly  ;D

Next, proof that I actually flew.

Next, Snowballs in all his glory

Finally, some guy in disguise.

Wingnutz

Made the trek in to ROGO this morning...more difficult than it sounds...the new snow had completely filled in the tracks and if you stepped off the tracks, you promptly went up to your knees! I took nearly 15 minutes to struggle over the ever higher windrow and into the pilot stations, the top of which now come up only to my knees...and I'm not tall!
Not even one footprint as far as you could see...bright sun 8), temperature around zero and light wind! By the time I'd made the pilot stations, it was time to lose the jacket...and the sweater...and the gloves...tee shirt only for a while!
Only had my dumb phone as the decision to go RCing was a last minute one and the photos are...dumb phone photos shot in light so bright, I couldn't see the viewer through my sunglasses!
The Beaver and I had a wonderful time doing touch and go's! Bare handed flying is better than any glove arrangement!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!