Snow Flying...

Started by Wingnutz, February 05, 2014, 10:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ededge2002

As I was flying a very light plane in windy conditions there wasn't really any "cross wind" landing.  I landed straight into the wind..  If you can call it that as there was zero roll out.  On one of the landings I had to keep the motor running as I walked over to prevent the plane from taxiing away from me backwards!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Andy Hoffer

Way to go!  Skis should be fun on the ice today!

Andy

Andy Hoffer

Conditions at TEMAC were great today.  If you're gentle on your touch down (and avoid rescue footprints) you can use wheels on the glazed ice crust on the snow, though I still stayed with skis on my Super Sportster and Mini Funtana.  As you would exepct, there is very litte surface drag.  A little throttle goes a long way when you're taxiing. And the wind also goes a long way, usually away from you!!

Andy

piker

Too bad I didn't make it out.  I had to head to Home Depot for supplies yesterday, and the weather was quite nice.  I'm glad you guys had a good time.

battlestu

second try....and some notes on the photos. The first few shots are of Andy in his element (enjoying the snow) and testing out his new altimeter. A shot of me squinting to see my plane (forgot my sunglasses) and a frozen me after a long walk in the snow.

Greg
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Ededge2002

Wait a minute... 

As we all know Andy has a strong affection for the white stuff and now he has an altimeter??

Is it just me or is he trying to measure how high he is getting??

Gregor77

I had a chance to fly a bit with weekend and the course of the week. 

I had John P give me a battle damaged PZ Icon.  I used my mastery skills with the hot glue gun and pieced it together.  I was a little apprehensive about using a plane this destroyed but it worked well after making sure all the control surfaces and the main fuse would not fail in the air.   It was great off the snow, it does fly a bit nose heavy, but was lots of fun.  I really miss taking off from the grass though.  With being inside for such a long durtation of the winter, I have amassed a few new planes for the summer.

Wingnutz

Took my brother (visiting from BC) to ROGO this afternoon. Thrilled to see the windrow cleaned out of the end of the driveway.
The snow was so wet and sticky that without silicon spray, the floats wouldn't slide easily, causing the model to pitch down on its take-off run and fail to gather much speed or lift. (Andy, I know what you're gonna say!)
Ended up hand-launching but had a great time.
If you use floats on snow, sticky season is apparently here!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Wingnutz on March 10, 2014, 05:43:24 PM
Took my brother (visiting from BC) to ROGO this afternoon. Thrilled to see the windrow cleaned out of the end of the driveway.
The snow was so wet and sticky that without silicon spray, the floats wouldn't slide easily, causing the model to pitch down on its take-off run and fail to gather much speed or lift. (Andy, I know what you're gonna say!)
Ended up hand-launching but had a great time.
If you use floats on snow, sticky season is apparently here!

I am SO pleased to report that there was absolutely no sign of "sticky season" at TEMAC field today (Sunday March 16). It was a perfect day for ice pilots (or at least for the one ice pilot who showed up):  Winds were 330 at 11 knots (20 kmh), skies absolutely clear, temperature -10C (wind chill was a balmy -18C).  The sunshine was wonderful. Want to get warm? Just face west and look up at the top of the antenna tower.  One caveat:  the snow surface is quite bumpy in places, the white water equivalent of light chop.  SO... foam floats will take a real beating.  Skis had no problem, but you have to pick the line of your take-off run carefully.  This will probably be the last nice winter weekend, with only a couple more days of sub-zero weather before the spring thaw which is forecast to set in big time on Wednesday.   Then I might just have to try floats.  :)

Cheers!

Snowballs Hoffer

Gregor77

I guess that TEMAC is a sheet of ice right now.. I noticed that the mound of sand and ice have melted away at the enterance.  Prob not smart to try to get to the field in a car yet.  Especailly if your CAA is not up to date.

Andy Hoffer

I gently tested the driveway last weekend and it is very soft under the top crust.  I agree it is not a good idea to drive in unless you have a serious SUV with 4WD and good snow tires.  Also, we want to avoid chewing up the driveway.  Walking in from the road is clearly the best option.

The good news is that we are getting 3 to 8 cm of fresh snow tonight, so "Snowballs Hoffer" will be out this weekend for sure!!  My Mini Funtana and Super Sportster are both still in ski mode! :D

Hope to see you there!!

Andy

battlestu

i guess your flying kites this weekend ... the forecast looks a little windy
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Ededge2002

I just flew WITHOUT GLOVES! 

just saying.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: battlestu on March 21, 2014, 01:04:41 PM
i guess your flying kites this weekend ... the forecast looks a little windy

Yes, Saturday will be a good day to do grocery shopping and other chores, like shovelling snow from the driveway. 
But I will look forward to your company at ROGO field on Sunday where we will enjoy more moderate, pilot-friendly winds (22 to 29 kmh) and balmy -7C temperatures (-14C to -15C wind chills).

Hope to see you there!   :D

Snowballs

Papa

The name is "SnoBalls" without the "W".

Get it right EH!

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"