Geotex Runway Installation Update...MONDAY EVENING INSTALL...VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!

Started by Wingnutz, May 01, 2014, 07:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

Hi Folks:

I REALLY wish I could be there to help out and to document this historic event, including taking notes of the colourful use of language which I am certain will be manifest during the field prep and runway installation.  Unfortunately I will be away for warm weather therapy on the west coast to help cure me (if such is possible) of my longing for snow and the exhilarating cold of winter! Happy scalping, stretching and stapling!  ;D

Andy

eric

Wingnutz

Thanks everybody! I'm really annoyed at myself missing the suitable weather today but Monday should be good. Ed and I will be there around 3:00 p.m. (1500) and will make sure we're ready to start laying geotex as soon as enough bods show up.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

Suitable weather????  The weather where I was sucked!  I was thinking it was a good call!

I'm aiming to be at the field for 5:00 on Monday.

Wingnutz

Quote from: piker on May 03, 2014, 09:45:22 PM
Suitable weather? ???  The weather where I was sucked!  I was thinking it was a good call!

I'm aiming to be at the field for 5:00 on Monday.
Rob,
Your judgement of my Saturday call is far more charitable than my own, but thanks. You make float flying calls regularly so you know the drill well.
Thanks for planning to show up at 5:00...perfect timing!

Bobmic

Sorry I cannot join Monday but will bring my mower this morning and at least help a bit in the prep work.

Bobby

Wingnutz

Thanks Bobby. Depending on what time you're there I may see you. I'm coming to cut grass too. It's too windy to fly.

Bobmic

It is windy:( and I cut the grass it might be good if some of you will bring a few rakes.

sihinch

Wingnutz

Bobby,
Spectacular job scalping! Thank-you! What kind of blade did you use? Mine won't cut as short as yours...
I added 40' more runway to the north end as we have enough material to do the whole 240', taxiways and still have material for patching, but my scalping's not as good as yours.
Bobby's right about bringing leaf rakes. There are some clumps of wet grass/mud from the scalping. It would be best if the clippings and mud could be raked away before the material goes down.
Took two pictures looking south. It was so bright I couldn't see the image in my cell phone screen, ergo worse than usual photos but captures the colour and brightness of the field today. No wonder there were no flyers...wind was somewhere in the 15-25 kt range...that's 30-50 km/h.
Low level clouds were roaring SE in the strong NW wind. Upper level clouds were heading W...almost 180* different!
Our new windsock was getting quite a baptism! :o
See you all tomorrow...Ed and I will be there shortly after 3:00 p.m. :D

Andy Hoffer

Well, actually there was ONE flyer out today, enjoying the very cool, very windy conditions.  He was seen in his rubber boots, snow pants, parka, toque, scarf and gloves, admiring Bobby's fantastic scalping job on the field.  So of course, he just HAD to try out the new runway base.  The winds were definitely challenging from 11:00-12:00 as Bill pointed out, but I managed a few good flights for some family spectators.  But in the afternoon winds were an insane 20 gusting 30 knots (36-54 kmh!!)  Too bad, because otherwise it was a beautiful fresh day.

Andy

Ededge2002

Hats off to you Bobby and Bill for getting out there today and scalping the field!

Thanks to you we can progress much further tomorrow evening when we continue the project.

Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

eric

Do we still bring lawn mowers tomorrow (Monday), or is the scalping done?

Eric

piker

I have my laser thingy with me today.  It has a tripod, bullseye type level, and, as set-up right now, will project a vertical plane, used for creating a "laser" straight line along the ground.  I brought it just in case it's useful.  Problem is, the line can't be seen well (at all) in bright sunlight.  However, it may be effective this evening.

I also have a one hand sledge hammer, regular hammer, rubber mallet, a bunch of string, flat shovel, work gloves and knee pads  :)